Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:32 am

Post subject: College Preparation
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:41 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

Hello everyone!

Long time no see! I still regularly browse the forums, just haven't posted anything in a while.

I just got back from my overnight college orientation. I leave August 23rd. Since people are either graduated, or enrolled currently, I figured you guys would be a good source to ask for some helpful dorm situations.

The Freshman dorms are fairly small, and I'm going to be sharing it with another person (doing random.) Is there anything people noticed they should have gotten/wish they had for there dorms? I know the typical mini-fridge, microwave, T.V., Laptop, etc. but anything else that you guys noticed was more efficient to have? Something most people wouldn't think to get but would turn out or turned out really nice to have?

If anyone has any suggestions as to what to get specifically, that'd be awesome! Brother didn't go away for college, so everything is kinda new to us. Or any general tips for college would be pretty sick. Thanks, everyone.

-Brykon

Stream: www.athenelive.com/brykon
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Brykon50?feature=mhee

Post subject: Re: College Preparation
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:43 pm  

Attention Whore

Air fresheners, bean bags, and flipflops for the shower....you'll need em.

Engi-nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Mini-fridge is whatever unless you have nothing at all except a bed and bathroom. Lucky me my "dorm" was at a legit apartment building.

Druid: Meowth
« Steam »« Xfire »
Glorious Death Metal Music

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:11 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

I had a mini fridge and couch in my college dorm room and a bean bag chair in my boarding school dorm room. You'll definitely want a laptop.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Callysta of Reverence

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:07 pm  

French Faggot

If they use that cheap-ass half-ply shit, you might want to think about bringing toilet paper.

No joke.

ps where you going?

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:25 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

Yuratuhl wrote:
ps where you going?

I'm going to Fairleigh Dickinson University (Madison campus)

Stream: www.athenelive.com/brykon
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Brykon50?feature=mhee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 pm  

Deliciously Trashy

A water filter and electric kettle. Those were my two best investments that I didn't originally think to bring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 pm  

Attention Whore

Brykon wrote:
Yuratuhl wrote:
ps where you going?

(Madison campus)

OH FUCK YOU, WAS GONNA SHIT A BRICK BECAUSE I THOUGH MADISON, WI.

Engi-nerd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

a 21 year old friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:19 am  

MegaFaggot 5000

Usdk wrote:
a 21 year old friend.

This.

My dorm had a minifridge in it, so I'd wait on that until you actually get down there. Good headphones and a pot are also nice things to have.

EDIT: Make sure that everything you have can fit in one car comfortably. At my dorm they made everyone effectively move out during winter and spring break so people couldn't just ransack the dorms when everyone was gone.

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:06 am  

Twittering Twat

Air Freshener is a huge one, people and food smells, and tends to stick around. An Ass pillow, anything that can fit on a chair, a 20 slot power bar, a small fan, blankets, headphones or ear plugs, people are loud, and sleep is important. As stated above, toilet paper will make your ass thank you, and paper towels, accidents happen.

In my mind, comfort is number 1 and when in a small space and forced to share, comfort is usually pushed aside.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:49 am  

MegaFaggot 5000

Superchat wrote:
paper towels, accidents happen.

To extend on this, a cheap and small vacuum cleaner, a rag, and a can of dust cleaner will make you pretty popular as well.

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:38 am  

Pinheaded Pissant

Just because no one has said anything about this part of college I will add this:

Remember, you are at college to learn above all else. You will never have to explain good grades to anyone where as several fuck ups will end up costing you time and/or opportunities down the road.

Studying: Get out of your dorm to do it. You brain is great at associating places with emotions and habits so use this to your advantage. You will use your dorm room to sleep, browse the internet, masturbate, hang out, and generally do a lot more than study. This means if you try and study there, all those other emotions and thoughts associated with that location will get lit up and distract you. Find a place like the library or a classroom not in use to study. Bonus points if you can study in the same room you will be tested in.

Another tip on studying; don't get behind. It takes less effort to study the day of or after you listened to a lecture instead of several days to weeks after class. Again, you'll light up those same neurons and give them a chance to reinforce themselves instead of letting them decaying due to lack of use.

If you have a smart phone or recorder I would highly recommend you record your lectures. Test out how good of a mic it has. Mine blows and I have to set it right on the podium to pick up my professors voice. This makes studying way easier because can you make use of time where you otherwise could not sit down and read your notes; walking somewhere, exercising, work if you are doing that. Since I work 3rd shift, I just listen to my lectures again during this time.

Plan your week out. Lists are great because you can visually see how fucked you are or are not for a week and you don't accidentally overwhelm yourself. Try and know a few weeks ahead of time what is coming up; see if exams or due dates from more than one class happen to fall on the same week and plan accordingly.

Stress: You will get stressed at times, it's part of College. Find some way to relieve it. I would highly recommend finding a form of exercise you enjoy. Part of the stress response is the release of cortisol and norepinephrine which can lead to a whole host of problems if you don't deal with them. In the past, we would naturally deal with their build up through daily activities like hunting, foraging, farming, ect. Basically, some form of physical exertion. Nowadays, we are all a bunch of screen staring neckbeards who never get up and become fat like mayo. This will affect your grades if you are not careful.

If at times you feel everything is against you and no one else has it as hard as you, listen to this.

College can be a ton o' fun and lead to a easier life, but you get out of it what you put into it. I don't know your major, but if it's a hard science I can give you some further advice specific to that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:47 am  
Tasty Tourist

Building on what Highscore said, I'll offer my $0.02 -

The two most important pieces of advice I could offer for someone going to college are: 1) pick a good major and 2) work hard.

For 1): This means studying something that will get you a nice job -- bonus points if you study something that is highly employable with just a Bachelor's (many people who say they want to be doctor or lawyers or journalists freshman year don't follow through). Suggested majors: accounting, nursing, chemistry, biology, engineering, computer science, possibly math. Suggested majors to avoid*: humanities and arts like the plague, social sciences, and physics^. Students who look like they're having an easy time with easy majors are going to be in for a rude wakeup call 4 years from now. When you think about what you are going to study, look VERY closely to see what jobs you would want out of it, if they actually exist and are hiring, what the work conditions are like, etc.

*people can and do succeed in these fields, but writing books or becoming a professor or teaching are much more difficult ways to live than other paths.
^only study this if you know you're going to graduate school. B.S. in physics is actually not worth a lot.

For 2), much like Highschore said, your grades and your connections in college will basically set up your opportunities for jobs later on. Stay on good terms with professors and keep in touch with them -- they will write your recommendations that will make or break your career. The economy might be complete shit in 4 years, and more and more people are attending college, so your competition will be pretty tough. You will want to set yourself apart from the crowd if you want a good career later on.

Alopex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:13 pm  

Pinheaded Pissant

I sort of agree with what Alopex said, but I would modify it to this.

Your undergrad major does matter, but not in the way he describes it. You can go to medical school with a humanities degree, but you will still need the science basics. You can go to grad school for science as well, but you need to show interest. It's less about what your major is and more about what you do with it while at school. I've bolded that point to reiterate an early point; you get out of school what you put into it.

Try and have an idea what you would like to do with your degree. That does not mean know exactly what you are going to do with your degree but have some vague idea of what you want to do with it. Give me your major, or what industry interests you and I can help you out a bit more. You want to write for a hit TV show, you want to work on a game like WoW, you want to synthesize new drugs. That kind of direction.

As for recommendations: He is right, make yourself stand out. This is very easy because the majority of your classmates will rarely, if ever, speak up in class or go to ask for help. Teachers love students who put themselves out there and they remember them. They are also more lenient on grading for those students simply because they are not just another face. Don't worry about being wrong in front of your peers because they are just as dumb if not dumber than you. Sit in the front so you are not distracted by them either.

Professors, and everyone in general, loves talking about themselves. Why do you think I am writing this all out? Because I get to tell you something about myself. It's human nature, exploit it. Ask them what research they are doing or how they got there. You will learn something new. You'll run into a shit head now and then but most professors I knew were interesting and helpful once you get to know them.

Here is another thing about college I don't think is emphasized enough: the content is not what you are really there for. From a state university to Havard, the content of most classes is pretty much the same. People are not paying ass loads of money to go to Harvard because they have the secret formula to make the nextgen drug. People go there because of the connects you will find there and the people you will develop friendships with (who can help you out later in life). I had an adviser from a top tier med school tell me he would look less favorably on a Harvard grad who didn't have above a 3.7 because ivy leagues are known for grade inflation. They don't want to report low GPA's so they make everyone look good. I am sure that is kind of an oversimplification but probably has a grain of truth to it.

I'm just rambling now. Give me an idea what you are going to college for and I can maybe give you some more advice.