Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4th of July DUI Checkpoint - Drug Dogs, Searched w/o Con
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:38 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

Usdk wrote:
Aside from the obvious racial profiling this law promotes, if there's no probable cause they have no right to stop anyone and ask anything.

I like these videos purely on the basis that they promote knowing your own rights. I may change my mind if any violence explodes over behavior like this.

Liking them for knowledge I can agree with. Always good to know how far is too far.

I disagree with your first statement however.

What real probable cause could there be short of an illegal sticking his head out the window and saying "LOL I'M AN IMIGRANT!"? In reality, I believe they stop everyone because if they don't then it IS racial profiling. So either, they check everyone or no one and we're back to wanting more security on our boarders/airplanes.

I really don't think they even suspect anything, they just ask if you're a citizen, then move you along UNLESS they do suspect at which point they follow through with the full range of motion. Not cooperating = (possible) probable cause. Then you slip into "Don't be a dick to cops"/"Cops are going to abuse their power" gray area. Do guilty people, before being caught, ever go "Well, ya got me. Here's my full confession." No, they try to hide it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:17 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Usdk wrote:
Aside from the obvious racial profiling this law promotes, if there's no probable cause they have no right to stop anyone and ask anything.

I like these videos purely on the basis that they promote knowing your own rights. I may change my mind if any violence explodes over behavior like this.

This.

I think you have a good point Necra, it's obvious these people who make these videos want to act like dicks to Cops and know it will go viral.

That said, given how the US Government and their representatives continue to shit on the constitution in a multitude of ways, it's nice to see people fighting back, even if it's a bit troll-ish.

I would also argue that you have to consider the worst case scenario...how people in these positions can abuse their power. I KNOW racial profiling goes on...I KNOW that you're more likely to have your rights attacked if you are muslim, black, or hispanic. The fact that cops can exploit loopholes (think first video, when the cop gestured to the K9 unit in order to bypass unlawful search), is infuriating to me.

I just can't get behind this mentality so many people have of "well it will keep us safer and if I have nothing to hide it doesn't matter" -- no, to me, it matters. It matters that a cop is not legally allowed to stop and interrogate me without probable cause.

I remember this one instance when I was in 8th grade. I was walking home from school with a friend...minding our own business. All of a sudden this cop car pulls up to us and this douche is like "where are you guys headed" "what are your names" "where are you coming from" -- we answered all the questions, and he was like "get in the car" -- so we got in the cop car and he drove us to this nursery school nearby.....a lady comes out, takes one look at us and goes "it's not them" and we were let go.

Apparently 2 teenagers had been throwing things at little kids and cursing at them or something. Well, because we "matched the description" we were detained and the attitude the cops gave was we were guilty until proven innocent. Shit like that, even if their intentions were good trying to find culprits, is what pisses me off.

Azelma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:53 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

Azelma wrote:
I remember this one instance when I was in 8th grade. I was walking home from school with a friend...minding our own business. All of a sudden this cop car pulls up to us and this douche is like "where are you guys headed" "what are your names" "where are you coming from" -- we answered all the questions, and he was like "get in the car" -- so we got in the cop car and he drove us to this nursery school nearby.....a lady comes out, takes one look at us and goes "it's not them" and we were let go.

Apparently 2 teenagers had been throwing things at little kids and cursing at them or something. Well, because we "matched the description" we were detained and the attitude the cops gave was we were guilty until proven innocent. Shit like that, even if their intentions were good trying to find culprits, is what pisses me off.

That's one instance at a young age that probably tainted the way you look at law enforcement figures forever. I mean, it sounds like you'd much rather cops not do their job.

Really, and I get where you're coming from but, they should just allow people to opt into the legal system. You can skip checkpoints, you can jump right on airplanes. However, when you're the one who is robbed or beaten up by thugs or lose your job to illegal immigrants, you can't bitch and you get no help. You just get to sit there, groovin on it.

I mean, the way you're talking, we just shouldn't have cops at all. End of discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:59 pm  
Kunckleheaded Knob

These stops are not at borders btw. They are in border states in the middle of the road.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mazeltov

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:08 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

mazeltov wrote:
These stops are not at borders btw. They are in border states in the middle of the road.

Well surely they must have problems there and/or see a bit of turn around if they're willing to waste resources there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:30 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Necrachilles wrote:
That's one instance at a young age that probably tainted the way you look at law enforcement figures forever. I mean, it sounds like you'd much rather cops not do their job.

Really, and I get where you're coming from but, they should just allow people to opt into the legal system. You can skip checkpoints, you can jump right on airplanes. However, when you're the one who is robbed or beaten up by thugs or lose your job to illegal immigrants, you can't bitch and you get no help. You just get to sit there, groovin on it.

I mean, the way you're talking, we just shouldn't have cops at all. End of discussion.

No, I wouldn't push it that far at all - not even close. In fact, I think most in law enforcement respect the constitution and are truly trying to make a positive difference in the world. I think most of them do a wonderful job.

However, we should protect our basic rights. Cops need warrants for search. Cops need probable cause to detain you. If you are being interrogated/detained, you should be able to remain silent until you can speak with a lawyer first.

To me, there's a big difference between wanting justice after getting robbed or beaten up, and having cops stop people on the street who they think MIGHT be doing something wrong.

I don't believe it's an "all or nothing" argument. I think you can have an honorable, effective, police force while protecting citizens against unlawful search and unjust profiling.

The sad thing is, a majority of Americans continue to allow fear to take our rights away all the time. We're afraid of immigrants taking our jobs, so we're okay with random checkpoints and having to affirm our citizenship. We're afraid of terrorists, so we're okay with getting full body scans at airports and invasive pat downs. We're afraid of terrorists attacking us while we run a marathon, so we're okay with the government monitoring our emails and phone calls at will.

My point, is it's a slippery slope. It seems bit by bit we're more accepting of losing rights at certain times for the "greater good" or for "protection." I question this. Am I really safer if a cop can stop and question me for no reason at all? Am I really safer if the government can catalog every email and call I've ever made? Even if I am, is it really worth it?

I don't think we're going to wake up tomorrow in a 1984-like Dystopia. At the same time, every time we give up a right or simply "trust" that our political leaders and law enforcement agents will do the moral thing and will NEVER abuse their power, I think we get closer to it. Maybe this administration and these cops will be honorable, but what about the next administration? What about those next cops? Once you give up a right, it's a lot harder to get it back.

Did you know it's illegal in Chicago to film a police officer? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 ... 91800.html Thankfully the Supreme Court has dealt a crippling blow to the 50 year old anti "eavesdropping" law. Yep, if you're getting abused by a police officer, or witness it and record it, that's illegal.

This is the kind of stuff that I think we should question. Don't you?

Azelma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 am  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

Azelma wrote:
Necrachilles wrote:

No, I wouldn't push it that far at all - not even close. In fact, I think most in law enforcement respect the constitution and are truly trying to make a positive difference in the world. I think most of them do a wonderful job.

However, we should protect our basic rights. Cops need warrants for search. Cops need probable cause to detain you. If you are being interrogated/detained, you should be able to remain silent until you can speak with a lawyer first.

To me, there's a big difference between wanting justice after getting robbed or beaten up, and having cops stop people on the street who they think MIGHT be doing something wrong.

I don't believe it's an "all or nothing" argument. I think you can have an honorable, effective, police force while protecting citizens against unlawful search and unjust profiling.

The sad thing is, a majority of Americans continue to allow fear to take our rights away all the time. We're afraid of immigrants taking our jobs, so we're okay with random checkpoints and having to affirm our citizenship. We're afraid of terrorists, so we're okay with getting full body scans at airports and invasive pat downs. We're afraid of terrorists attacking us while we run a marathon, so we're okay with the government monitoring our emails and phone calls at will.

My point, is it's a slippery slope. It seems bit by bit we're more accepting of losing rights at certain times for the "greater good" or for "protection." I question this. Am I really safer if a cop can stop and question me for no reason at all? Am I really safer if the government can catalog every email and call I've ever made? Even if I am, is it really worth it?

I don't think we're going to wake up tomorrow in a 1984-like Dystopia. At the same time, every time we give up a right or simply "trust" that our political leaders and law enforcement agents will do the moral thing and will NEVER abuse their power, I think we get closer to it. Maybe this administration and these cops will be honorable, but what about the next administration? What about those next cops? Once you give up a right, it's a lot harder to get it back.

Did you know it's illegal in Chicago to film a police officer? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/2 ... 91800.html Thankfully the Supreme Court has dealt a crippling blow to the 50 year old anti "eavesdropping" law. Yep, if you're getting abused by a police officer, or witness it and record it, that's illegal.

This is the kind of stuff that I think we should question. Don't you?

Well, once again, I ask, how should cops do their job if not through questioning? Wait around for someone to come clean? Unlikely. Hence, you want a world with no cops. If you get beat up and robbed, what do you really expect them to do? The way you're talking, short of someone being either really stupid and/or coming clean out of the blue is the only way anything will get done.

Going back to my coning video, surely, how you want to eat your ice cream is your choice? There's no law (I don't think*) telling you how you have to eat and handle your ice cream. Perhaps the thing to do in the coning video I linked was rattle on about how they have rights to eat ice cream how they want to as it melts away. Those guys crossed the line. Guy asking to see my ID is crossing the line. It's bullshit he won't sell me beer. It's bullshit that it's against the law to walk around naked (baby, we were born that way). It's bullshit that people can't sag their pants how they want (I don't, just saying). It's all bullshit.

Point is, you don't HAVE to take a toll road or even a road with a checkpoint, you're choosing to.

Regardless, (there was something that went here but lol LoL)

I'm not saying that cops abusing their power is okay. I'm not saying our emails being monitored is okay. I'm saying that picking a fight with cops over petty shit (in most of the clips from that 2nd video) just trying to do their job.

*There's a law somewhere about carrying Ice Cream in your pocket past 6p on a Tuesday aka there are crazy laws everywhere

There was more but LoL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:57 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

No. Just no. I'll explain it better in the morning but here's the simple truth:

The more power cops have, the more fucked you are if some politician decides you deserve to get fucked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:41 am  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

Usdk wrote:
No. Just no. I'll explain it better in the morning but here's the simple truth:

The more power cops have, the more fucked you are if some politician decides you deserve to get fucked.

Fair enough.

I'm not saying cops should have the power to fuck you in the ass or anything. Just saying they should have the ability to do their job. If no one let the cops check their car or answered the questions about being a citizen, then you might as well not have cops there at all.

Not that corruption doesn't exist or that the cop in the first video wasn't being a dick or even that cops don't overstep their authority.

That's all I'm saying lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:34 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Necrachilles wrote:
Fair enough.

I'm not saying cops should have the power to fuck you in the ass or anything. Just saying they should have the ability to do their job. If no one let the cops check their car or answered the questions about being a citizen, then you might as well not have cops there at all.

Not that corruption doesn't exist or that the cop in the first video wasn't being a dick or even that cops don't overstep their authority.

That's all I'm saying lol.

Right, and I'm not saying cops shouldn't be allowed to question anyone ever...because you're right, how are they supposed to do their jobs? What I am saying is that there's a difference between questioning someone who is genuinely suspicious and someone who is completely unrelated to whatever they're trying to find out. Asking random drivers if they are citizens is a gray area in my mind...and open to a LOT of profiling and other unethical things. Since they aren't even directly on the boarder, it makes it even more ridiculous.

In any case, the person being questioned still has the right to refuse questioning or consult with a lawyer first. If cops are really suspicious of that person, they can go through the appropriate legal channels to search / detain them. That's just how the law works, and it works to protect us from any douche politician who would abuse these powers of the police force.

Azelma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 am  

Stupid Schlemiel

Profiling and judging situations and character based upon any physical feature is a cornerstone of human survival instinct.

It applies in all situations and should be allowed to.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:13 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Lucinth wrote:
Profiling and judging situations and character based upon any physical feature is a cornerstone of human survival instinct.

I feel like you wouldn't say this if you were black, hispanic, or muslim.

But okay.

Azelma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:15 am  

Stupid Schlemiel

Azelma wrote:
Lucinth wrote:

I feel like you wouldn't say this if you were black, hispanic, or muslim.

But okay.

Welcome to regional differences! It isn't the same here as it is in other parts of the world.

I wouldn't want to be white in Somalia either.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Azelma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:11 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

The guys were dicks. That is all.

Answering a citizenship question at or near a BORDER is not giving up any rights, just as being asked a citizenship question at or near a BORDER is not harassment.

Sorry.

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

Last edited by Fantastique on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next