Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 5:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One and the Future of Gaming
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:43 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Grimmgor wrote:
on topic: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/1488 ... -xbox-one/

this idea has been known about for, i want to say, a year, but man. seeing that it's actually going to happen among all the other idiotic rumors that people said "they won't do that! no way!" is fucking hilarious.

If only companies would realize that the cat's out of the bag and the best way to deal with it is just make their content available, legally, as easily as possible, by charging a reasonable fee. The fact that they are trying to get every last nickle and dime by eliminating sharing, or IDK...HAVING PEOPLE OVER TO WATCH A TV SHOW, demonstrates that they don't understand or care about consumers nowadays.

This just pisses me off, so....

;)

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:13 pm  

Deliciously Trashy

Azelma wrote:

;)

Pirate Queen Zaryi

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:29 pm  

Feckless Fool

Azelma wrote:
If only companies would realize that the cat's out of the bag and the best way to deal with it is just make their content available, legally, as easily as possible, by charging a reasonable fee. The fact that they are trying to get every last nickle and dime by eliminating sharing, or IDK...HAVING PEOPLE OVER TO WATCH A TV SHOW, demonstrates that they don't understand or care about consumers nowadays.

i hope you don't try and fool the kinect sensor, with it remembering your face and tying it to a profile, or it detecting heartbeats or the like.

wish i was lying. the picture in that post is obviously people just flinging shit, but it's not without merit.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:31 pm  

MegaFaggot 5000

Azelma wrote:

I don't know why you're complaining, considering this is another victory for capitalism.

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Mns wrote:
Azelma wrote:

I don't know why you're complaining, considering this is another victory for capitalism.

In my mind, it will be a victory for capitalism if consumers rebel and don't purchase these systems (which many are planning not to). If Microsoft loses loads of money on their Xbox One, which is a huge part of their business, they will be pushed to adjust and address consumer demands. That's the beauty of it - no one has to buy these systems, so if consumers say "man, fuck that" then Sony and Microsoft will get the message.

For example, I'm hoping people consider the alternatives like Ouya: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/05/ouya-impressions/ or - as has been pointed out, perhaps this drives people more towards PC gaming/Steam.

The more I think about it, I know that's what I'll likely be doing (building my own PC and buying Ouya to have a fun console around).

So yeah, I won't count this as a victory for capitalism until Microsoft and/or Sony get burned by shitting on their customers. :)

Azelma

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

If that happens, we computer gaming skygods will have to deal with console kiddies getting into our valhalla.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:46 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Capitalism is about choice and competition.

If Xbox One and the PS4 do just fine and people keep buying them (even with all the bullshit), then it's the fault of consumers for not voting with their wallets. As has been shown, there are many gaming alternatives - but if you're willing to put up with bullshit because you love CoD and Halo that much, then you can't blame capitalism. Yes, Sony and Microsoft are making these decisions in an effort to grab more $$ (the profit motive), but the market can make this backfire quite easily. It's up to people to show restraint and tell their kids "nope" when they start bitching about wanting an Xbox One. If this next gen is unaffected, then that just shows that the market is willing to put up with horseshit restrictions.

It's why for all the bitching I'll do about how Blizzard has fucked with WoW - at the end of the day, they are doing something right, and just doing business. People still sign up for accounts and buy expansions...if Blizzard was really oppressing people because of LOLVICTORYFORCAPITALISM people have the ability to say "well fuck it, I'm not playing WoW anymore"

You'd have a much better argument, Mayo, if you were talking about utility companies, where competition less ubiquitous, and alternatives are far less easy to pursue.

Azelma

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:56 am  

MegaFaggot 5000

Azelma wrote:
Ouya

This is why you're an idiot.

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:32 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Mns wrote:
Azelma wrote:
Ouya

This is why you're an idiot.

At least I understand how capitalism works.

And yeah, I guess I'm an "idiot" for suggesting people consider alternatives to an Xbox or Playstation by mentioning a completely different machine.

You really need to come up with a better insult.

Azelma

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:56 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

Didn't Luci or somebody buy the Ouya already? I seem to remember talking about it in 2.0 because someone was unboxing one.

Don't forget that Valve is launching a console soon. Linux/Android based gaming is going to be "a thing" (if it isn't already), and it's going to change expectations/standards...especially if the "big boys" are doing things customers don't like. Just look at how new technology is impacting cable/television. Deregulation of communications technology in 1972 gave rise to "basic" cable and channels like HBO, and consoles only came around a few years later than modern cable television (the Atari 2600 launched at the end of 1977...can't remember if there was another console before that, but I think Coleco made something earlier). These are technologies that are roughly my age. The shake-up is already here for one, changes for the other can't be far behind.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:14 pm  

Stupid Schlemiel

I have the ouya. Ultimate couch co op

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:37 pm  

Feckless Fool

i've yet to hear the point of the valve console at all, especially if you already have a gaming PC.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:41 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

Usdk wrote:
If that happens, we computer gaming skygods will have to deal with console kiddies getting into our valhalla.

fkn lol'd

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:28 pm  

French Faggot

I've found a good analogy for the discussion 2 pages back.

Console FPS is Nascar, PC FPS is Formula One.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:55 pm  

Feckless Fool

but that's a shitty analogy because mario kart is the king of all racing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next