Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 9:18 am

Post subject: Confirm or Deny
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:56 pm  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

So, long story short:

My landlord, a friend of the family, is renting his old house to me. He had some new siding and insulation put in along one side of the house last summer, I moved in January.

We'll call the guy who did the work Bob. Late January/Early February, we're getting water in the roof, and a part of the ceiling bulged down. It appears the water is getting in where the siding meets the roof, it's a little wet next to the wall, and really wet about a foot from the wall. Last week another part of the ceiling on the same side (and about 2 feet away from the wall), the side Bob did siding on, got wet and a light fixture attached to it came off.

Now, it has been a shitty winter. A lot of thawing and refreezing. Lots of ice problems.

Bob should redo (at no charge) where water is getting in (assuming it isn't actually the roof, but I'm 95% certain it isn't.), even though it's been a shitty winter.

Confirm/Deny

Bob should fix the ceiling (at no charge). Though I'm willing to be nice and patch it myself as it's not looking labor or skill intensive. My only worry being mold appearing, but that can probably be dealt with with a healthy dose of bleach.

Confirm/Deny

Am I missing something? Is it reasonable for him to claim no fault on account of the shitty winter?

"Ok we aren't such things and birds are pretty advanced. They fly and shit from anywhere they want. While we sit on our automatic toilets, they're shitting on people and my car while a cool breeze tickles their anus. That's the life."

Post subject: Re: Confirm or Deny
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

If Bob is anywhere near a real contractor he would have insurance which would cover the cost of things being fix'd(But he and his insurance could claim its not his fault then you would have to go to small claims and PROVE that he caused the issue), so you could get someone not Bob(who you probably don't like anymore) to fix it. If he doesn't have insurance then you would have to get the money out of him(Sue him, PROVE its his fault. And contractors usually don't have money lying around anyway) or work something out with him fixing everything.

If he knows its his fault and he A) Is a nice guy or B) knows you will go for his insurance he "might" prefer to work something out anyway to keep his insurance costs from going up(or him getting dropped), since it sounds like just sheetrock dmg(perhaps replacing some insulation as well) plus what ever he has to do better outside.

Either way, if its definitely his fault and you don't think he knows what he is doing you probably don't want him working on the house anymore. Better to have it done right.

Çhubathingy - Shaman - Royal Militia
Hoenhiem - Paladin - Royal Militia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

As for ->

Weena wrote:
Though I'm willing to be nice and patch it myself as it's not looking labor or skill intensive. My only worry being mold appearing, but that can probably be dealt with with a healthy dose of bleach.

Assuming its a shingle roof, its not hard to put on shingles. "Patching" shingles kinda sucks though and any nails showing need to be tar'd/sealed with something.

As far as mold goes, once the problem(where the water is coming from) is fix'd take out all the ruined sheetrock remove any wet insulation and run a dehumidifier(you can rent them) until its ALL the way dried out before repairing the interior dmg.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

Quote:
Assuming its a shingle roof, its not hard to put on shingles. "Patching" shingles kinda sucks though and any nails showing need to be tar'd/sealed with something.

It's a steel roof. But it's the ceiling, and it can be patched with a few pieces of white painted wood. I can even make it flush! /sunglasses

Quote:
As far as mold goes, once the problem(where the water is coming from) is fix'd take out all the ruined sheetrock remove any wet insulation and run a dehumidifier(you can rent them) until its ALL the way dried out before repairing the interior dmg.

Good to know.

"Ok we aren't such things and birds are pretty advanced. They fly and shit from anywhere they want. While we sit on our automatic toilets, they're shitting on people and my car while a cool breeze tickles their anus. That's the life."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:09 pm  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

Also, because I missed the first post; my landlord mentioned small claims court as a possibility if Bob wasn't going to rectify it.

Landlord's moving to AZ, so he's kinda put a lot of this on my lap.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:39 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Get a second opinion, as a renter its not your job to fix anything.

Bob fucked up or not, it's either Bob or the owners responsibility to fix it. Start having them fix it or move the fuck out! Don't get stuck in that situation as it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 pm  

French Faggot

Zero percent of this falls to the tenant. Your landlord makes the premises livable or you stop paying rent. He's the one who should be dealing with Bob.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:12 am  

Kunckleheaded Knob

Yuratuhl wrote:
Zero percent of this falls to the tenant. Your landlord makes the premises livable or you stop paying rent. He's the one who should be dealing with Bob.

Quote:
My landlord, a friend of the family.

Mayhaps he is getting a deal(that he doesn't want to lose by moving out), or he has known this guy for a long time and likes being a helper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:21 am  

French Faggot

That's all true, but considering how the premises sound, this guy's options are either

1) Have Weena as a tenant of his empty house
2) Have nobody as a tenant of his empty house

It's not a hard decision when the first one gets you rent.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 am  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

We bartered, and I've taken somewhat of a gamble that can pay off pretty well.

If Bob decides to be a shithead though, I'm letting my landlord file any court claims. I'm not even sure if I could file anything (since I never paid Bob in the first place nor do I own the property).

Can I appear in court as my landlord's agent? I'd be willing to do that (AZ is a long ways away), but that's about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:08 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

You should be able to act on his behalf if he signs a power of attorney.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 pm  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

Neat.

But it won't be necessary.

Bob will be coming around to redo it when it's warm enough to do so.

Assuming I wasn't sold a bill of goods.