Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Valentine's Help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:22 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

My argument is simply....is it worth it?

Is one night with some random girl you will never have a true connection with bouncing on your johnson worth it if it would ruin the chance you have with the "love of your life"?

To me, no way is it worth it. But perhaps it's just a risk Fanta's willing to take for now. Can't hate a gambling man...though it does make me white knuckle and prepare for observing his unfortunate, but likely, downfall.

For the record Fanta, it looks like everyone is ganging up on you...so please don't take it that way. I know most (if not all) of us genuinely care about you and want you to be happy. If you love that beautiful woman as much as you say you do....we just want you to consider the potential consequences. If you've considered them and still feel comfortable proceeding on your path, then that's all you can do.

I'll shut up now. :)

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:27 am  
Kunckleheaded Knob

get money fuck bitches brofist.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mazeltov

Post subject: Valentine's Help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 am  

Str8 Actin Dude

If they're not official, he's not cheating nor is she. The way I see it, they both know in the back of their minds but they choose not to focus on it. Even if they don't know, no one is cheating, no one is being dishonest anymore than I'd be being dishonest for banging my girlfriend and then refusing to spare people details.

The only difference is he's not official with anyone and therefore he doesn't owe anyone anything, nor is he owed anything by them.

I'd never do an open relationship or anything resembling one, but there are situations where a person is so important and valuable to someone that even if the time isn't right now for whatever reason, you each do your own thing and whatever may happen in the future happens.

I never thought I'd be like that, but until you experience the intensity of that kind of emotion firsthand, you probably won't understand.

Brawlsack

Taking an extended hiatus from gaming

Last edited by Battletard on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Question for you Mr. Tard AKA Battletard AKA Max....

All these people speak of love bitterly and many angrily. A lot of them talk about how much it's not worth it.

You have experienced heartbreak first hand. We saw you at your lowest because of a female.

Now you have met someone else and things seem to be going well.

Why keep trying?

Do you think, like some of these other bros, women just want to take your money and break your heart? Do you think being alone or a "bachelor" is just not worth it?

What drives you to try again with someone else after getting burned?

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:22 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Azelma wrote:
What drives you to try again with someone else after getting burned?

Aestu of Bleeding Hollow...

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:07 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Are you fucking kidding me azelma? No one has experienced heartbreak but Max?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 pm  
Tasty Tourist

It's nice to believe that there is a person that I'd like to spend the rest of my life with (and perhaps Fanta has found his), but honestly I don't count on it. With so many marriages ending in divorce, and only god knows what fraction of the intact marriages are actually happy, is that really something you want to bet on?

Personally, I have not met a couple that stayed together for decade after decade and still looked thrilled to be together. That could just be a small sample size, or bad statistical distribution, but I don't see -anyone-, especially older couples, in relationships that I would want. Based on statistics, anecdotes from everyone I meet, and my own experiences, the idea of finding a great life partner seems like a pipe dream at best.

Even if you do meet someone you suspect to be "the one," you likely have to pay a huge opportunity cost. What if your perspectives change? What if you meet someone you like substantially more? I always laugh in hindsight about what my life would have been like if I had married my first love.

With very limited knowledge, if I were in Fanta's position, I would be doing the exact same thing. He's in the prime of his life, attractive, and working towards an MD. It's really the next best thing to being Brad Pitt.

The fact of the matter is, when the data doesn't fit the model, you develop a new model. I believe that the hope of finding a true love persists today because we are living in an era of the erosion of older religious and cultural values, and in the midst of the downswing no one has figured out what to do. Like many things in America, dating is a game of 'every man for himself'; Darwin would certainly be amused. Only those who absolutely depend on monogamous relationships for emotional or financial or whatever reasons will continue to do so, while the vast majority of Americans will hop from mate to mate, which seems to be more in line with biological programming anyway.

Ultimately, there is no prescription for happiness, but I believe if you calibrate your expectations such that you aim for a loving spouse, who always gives as much as you invest, who shares common interests, who is attractive, and who will remain with you for the rest of your life, you will likely be very disappointed.

Alopex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm  

Str8 Actin Dude

Usdk wrote:

To be fair, he didn't say that. Everyone knows this isn't the case though.

Brawlsack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Alopex wrote:
in the midst of the downswing no one has figured out what to do. Like many things in America, dating is a game of 'every man for himself'

This. This.

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:58 pm  

Str8 Actin Dude

Yesterday would have been 6 years together. It wasn't a good or bad relationship, but it was unhealthy. I will always care about her.

A lot of it was that we went from fucking to relationship with very little in the way of friendship, and then *whoops, shit happens, she's preggo*

So without having similar goals, similar life views, similar values, similar communication styles (or the ability to bridge the gaps), similar emotional needs and physical needs, any relationship will ultimately fail.

These factors don't need to be perfect, and that's where "relationships take work" comes into play. People are lazy, people are selfish, people see the best in themselves and the worst in others..see also: relationships take work.

Hopefully with time and age and life experiences people mature from that and learn the skills needed to establish and maintain a successful relationship.

People are also vain and prideful idiots, and doing so would require admission that they are less than perfect. Most people can't and won't do this, therefore most relationships fail until two people who meet the aforementioned criteria (to a mutually agreeable extent) decide to pursue a relationship.

Then ideally the relationship flourishes and thrives, that's the hope anyway. If someone has a history of failed relationships, it's not necessarily indicative of a fault on their part, though it can be.

Their "picker is broken" so to speak. They develop this mentality of hopelessness so they seemingly pursue relationships that won't go anywhere because as self-defeating as it sounds, the longer you love, the more effort you put forth, the more you stand to lose.

Granted, not everyone wants lifelong monogamy and that's fine too. Our society needs to understand that our one size fits all approach to just about everything is doing way more harm than good.

Brawlsack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Usdk wrote:

I didn't say that...he was just a most recent example of someone on this very forum who was notably hurt by a woman...but has since dusted himself off and kept trying.

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Alopex wrote:
the vast majority of Americans will hop from mate to mate, which seems to be more in line with biological programming anyway.

I disagree with this on a fundamental level. Yes, men are motivated to stick their dick in lots of things, and women can be attracted to many different mates too. But centuries of monogamous relationships suggest that it's not as simple as "biological programming" one way or the other.........

Think of children...what does it take to care for a baby? Back in our early human existence, a woman couldn't have taken care of a baby on her own. Either a man, or a tribe/community had to support her and the child to help the species continue to thrive. Who hunted? Who defended the family? It was very essential for a woman to have a man bonded to her to raise his child. Equally, it was helpful for a men to have a woman bonded to him...else she would be fucking other guys and potentially fathering their offspring instead of his...

Today, with the economic pressures children bring...it's still quite difficult to raise a child by yourself (without the help of the government / your family + community ). Time and time again studies show, stable two parent households (or at least families where both parents are involved) produce healthier more successful children.

I don't think this is an accident. I think the family unit (and I include non-traditional same-sex families in this, as well as blended families) is still the best way to help foster successful children, and fulfill our friend Darwin's theories. You want your kids to grow up and be strong and have kids, and they want their kids to have kids, and so on. Gotta carry on those genes!

Look at African-American society. Their are many obstacles they face, no doubt. But one of the most significant is the epidemic of absent fathers. You know, the "baby daddy" What are gangs? Gang leadership? It's relying on "community" and strength because of a lack of a paternal/maternal balance at home. Study after study shows that those in single parent households are more likely to resort to crime, more likely to be less successful in education, and so on.

Finally, and here's the silver bullet, study after study shows that chemicals are released after sex and in relationships that encourage bonding:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin - for Women
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasopressin - for Men

Human bonding is a real thing...and sexual activity can be an essential part of that. Even in one night stands...why do some men and women still cuddle after coitus? Yes, our biology motivates us to stick it in as many things as possible...but it also has parts that encourage human bonding for child rearing and success.

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:39 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Battletard wrote:
A lot of it was that we went from fucking to relationship with very little in the way of friendship, and then *whoops, shit happens, she's preggo* So without having similar goals, similar life views, similar values, similar communication styles (or the ability to bridge the gaps), similar emotional needs and physical needs, any relationship will ultimately fail.

I don't buy this.

Contrary to what some say, Boredalt was no Lothario. His being hitched for 50 years didn't make him any more of an expert on relationships than anyone else. He knocked someone up and got stuck with her...which for a very long time, was how things worked.

Most of history, people married relatively young, to spouses they did not know well, and most of the time, it worked. That was my actual point linking an image of Darwin - humans are designed to be able to form relationships and raise families on a fairly dynamic basis, because if they weren't, they wouldn't have survived as long as they have.

Some would say that it is the degeneration of traditional values that is the problem. Yes, but that is ultimately a secondary issue. The reason for the degeneration of traditional values is the primacy of material values. The currency of America today is currency.

Americans tend not to define their value system in terms of happiness, or stability, or the welfare of children, or the next generation, or society as a whole. There is this facile assumption that so long as the money is good, everything else will just kind of work itself out.

Someone once explained, very keenly, why French waiters have a reputation for being nasty. Ever since the French Revolution, the spirit of egalitarianism has defined French society. Menial workers do not accept the sense of servility, shame and self-loathing that defines people in those jobs in America - and the French waiter's 'tude is a way of reminding you of that. He expects to do his job, go home to his price-controlled housing, see his state-care doctor, spend his whole life serving sandwiches to annoying American tourists and other Frenchmen, then retire and spend his last days as a pensioner. And if he can't find a job (or doesn't feel like it), he can get by, marginally, on welfare; his kids will go to school all the same. He doesn't feel he has to struggle to afford a house or "be successful" to validate himself. His life and what he does with it is just as valid as anyone else's. That's egalitarianism in action.

Back to America. Did Max have issues? Sure, whatever, I don't know, doesn't really matter. People have issues, in every time and place. The bottom line is, the conflict, the arena for the entire dispute, was issues like housing and transit and pocket money and self-reliance. Most of which were provided for his ex, because she, as a white woman, is seen as an object of automatic sympathy.

Meanwhile Max has been working a bunch of very unsatisfying, at-will jobs, with little real stability, control or self-respect, with most of his income going into housing, car, food, and sundries, in roughly that order. It's expected this game he's playing should be a gauge of his merit to be a responsible adult and parent and provide for the kid. As if.

At the other end of the spectrum are the waves of no-fault divorces initiated mostly by entitled white women with ants in their pants. The tug-of-war is always over things - alimony, house, child support - etc. Some see this as proof of breakdown of traditional values, but what is not considered, is what drives not only such conflicts but the legal architecture that enables them, that material considerations are considered paramount and the supreme arbiter of worth, so of course those things become the object of a legal and personal tug-of-war. The laws exist because the American social choices of free market economics and wealth values compels it to be so. It is the logical and inevitable end result of the free-market consumerist society.

Conversely, in a society in which material considerations are not paramount, people fight over things like reputation and social respectability. But that cannot be the case as long as Americans look at life as a material enterprise, and value considerations accordingly.

The bottom line is that the obsession with material considerations has become so strong that it has completely eclipsed human values. Ironically, in an era of unprecedented plenty, there is unprecedented want, and as Alopex suggested, it's because the old wisdom just doesn't work, and while we wait on the new release, we get by as best we can running the buggy old OS, bitching about constant crashes, system lag, memory leaks, bad drivers, and the low memory address cap.

I'm a deeply cynical individual, but I also am basically optimistic about human nature. Too often, the fact that life sucks, is used to justify the belief that it must always suck - that this is the best of all worlds - and I just don't buy that. I think that if most people are provided fair and equivocal rules for life, and basic material considerations are a non-factor, most people will make good choices. The Baby Boomers by and large failed, because although they had all-but-unlimited resources, they grew up in the dysfunctional fiscal society that is now imploding.

Anyway, while we wait for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to return to us, or for the Messiah to show up and lead us into the new age, or Armageddon, or whatever, the best bet is to simply be mindful that the values of the world are arbitrary and wrong, try to make moral choices, and, as Mazel said, "disregard women and get money."

All of which brings me here to Ohio, where land and women are cheap, talents are few, and hopefully I can carve out my little slice of the world while I "wait and hope".

I would advise others make plans to do the same.

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:55 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

Some people are toxic combinations. Codependency, abuse, infidelity, immaturity... These things can destroy even the best intentioned individuals. All you can do if you fail is try to bounce back and try again.

Fanta is busy sowing his wild oats. He knows he has met a great girl, but distance makes the relationship unviable. No woman (or man) wants to be the backup plan ;)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Callysta of Reverence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:03 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Azelma wrote:
I disagree with this on a fundamental level. Yes, men are motivated to stick their dick in lots of things, and women can be attracted to many different mates too. But centuries of monogamous relationships suggest that it's not as simple as "biological programming" one way or the other.........

Callysta wrote:
Some people are toxic combinations. Codependency, abuse, infidelity, immaturity... These things can destroy even the best intentioned individuals. All you can do if you fail is try to bounce back and try again.

Monogamy has only ever applied to women. Men have always been free to stick their dicks in whomever they like, of either gender, as long as they can manage "plausible deniability".

One of the ugly truths of human nature is that men and women are wired very differently when it comes to sex. Men can neatly separate the physical and emotional element, and intelligently decide which they are after.

Women can't. This is why so many promiscuous women wind up just plain crazy, can't keep a marriage together, habitually blame others for their own inability to do so, etc, while guys like Fanta or React (and there are legions of them) can stick their dicks in however many creatures then settle down with a family.

This is also why women freak out over rape, and are totally susceptible to it (paralyzed by fear or uncertainty when they have the means to resist or escape). Men have been raping each other since the beginning of time, and while for a man it is obviously degrading, traumatic, and physically unpleasant (the latter far more so than for a woman, for obvious reasons), men aren't mortified by it and typically don't become perverse in response, because they're wired differently.

Azelma wrote:
Think of children...what does it take to care for a baby? Back in our early human existence, a woman couldn't have taken care of a baby on her own. Either a man, or a tribe/community had to support her and the child to help the species continue to thrive. Who hunted? Who defended the family? It was very essential for a woman to have a man bonded to her to raise his child. Equally, it was helpful for a men to have a woman bonded to him...else she would be fucking other guys and potentially fathering their offspring instead of his...

Today, with the economic pressures children bring...it's still quite difficult to raise a child by yourself (without the help of the government / your family + community ). Time and time again studies show, stable two parent households (or at least families where both parents are involved) produce healthier more successful children.

I don't think this is an accident. I think the family unit (and I include non-traditional same-sex families in this, as well as blended families) is still the best way to help foster successful children, and fulfill our friend Darwin's theories. You want your kids to grow up and be strong and have kids, and they want their kids to have kids, and so on. Gotta carry on those genes!

Yes. Exactly.

Azelma wrote:
Look at African-American society. Their are many obstacles they face, no doubt. But one of the most significant is the epidemic of absent fathers. You know, the "baby daddy" What are gangs? Gang leadership? It's relying on "community" and strength because of a lack of a paternal/maternal balance at home. Study after study shows that those in single parent households are more likely to resort to crime, more likely to be less successful in education, and so on.

Malcolm X once said, "White people landed on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us."

It's very true, in more than one sense. In the postwar years, things started to look up for black people. They started to "move on up to the East Side", filter into mainstream employment, etc. So how did we get from that progress to so many young black men regressing? Black women trying and failing to find decent men and instead being dependent on Sec8 and the SSA?

Blacks are and have always been at the bottom of the employment ladder. The American economy has been hollowing itself out for years. Black men being unable to "feed a family as well as a pizza", or being unwilling to work because work does not provide them with the means to save nor any sort of social respectability, is a phenomenon that is beginning to affect whites as well. Blacks, being at the bottom of the employment ladder, were very much the canary in the mine - the gas is filtering up from the bottom.

For black people, too, traditional values have been vacillating in favor of material values. White people mock black men who wear bling and dollar-sign necklaces, but are they really any different than white people with underwater mortgages, driving a Lexus and engaging in other forms of tasteless conspicuous consumption? Or is it just that the less one has, the more it means?

Time was, land and housing was cheap, and a black family could live in a shack in Missouri, buying cheap food at the farmer's market, eating free range chicken ten times a week. (Raising chickens is piss easy, by the way - the reason they are poor people food is that you can just put some chickens behind a fence, and as long as you keep the wolves and gypsies away, they'll do their thing, unlike pigs and cows, which are pretty high-maintenance). But when that didn't work anymore, land prices went up, food prices went down, wealth flowed into the economy, American society became reliant on the car, the blacks went to the cities, and when that didn't work out, went on welfare and spent their time just enjoying themselves.

How can one expect black men to be responsible when they have neither the means nor the inclination to do so? How and why would a black man hold a menial job that he knows won't allow him to save or buy a house, much less be treated with respect, when he can just go off and do his own thing? And if there wasn't welfare, why should he accept such an unfair social arrangement, without fighting to change it?

Racism is and has always been a tool of the wealthy to divide the poor. That hasn't changed. All that the plight of black people shows is that when material considerations take precedence over human values, the result is chaos. They just had the misfortune of being the first group in America to be crushed under the sinking employment ladder.

Azelma wrote:
Finally, and here's the silver bullet, study after study shows that chemicals are released after sex and in relationships that encourage bonding: Human bonding is a real thing...and sexual activity can be an essential part of that. Even in one night stands...why do some men and women still cuddle after coitus? Yes, our biology motivates us to stick it in as many things as possible...but it also has parts that encourage human bonding for child rearing and success.

Study? lol. See above satire.

The thing is, though, women are VASTLY more susceptible to bonding by coitus than men. This is, again, why so many sluts wind up just plain nuts and uncontrollable. And it's very Darwinian. Why should men bond easily when their gametes are dirt cheap? Conversely, can women afford to bond easily, when their gametes are so expensive, and they bear the costs of pregnancy, but they are less economically productive?

Nature's way of acting out Darwinian impulses is to play a sort of shell game. What is called the "double standard" is really just "the selfish gene" being reconciled with the needs of civilized society.

Nihilism is a copout.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next