Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:22 am

Post subject: Re: Minimum Wage Would be $22 an Hour If...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:11 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Jubbergun wrote:
It wasn't that long ago that people had kids because it was cheaper than buying a draft animal. Seriously, probably only a little over a hundred years ago in this country and a lot of others, people had five or six kids to run the farm. Before I had a paying job, my brothers and I worked for my dad in his hornet and snake infested salvage yard. The idea that a child shouldn't have to pitch in to provide for the family isn't just brand-new and fresh-of-the-shelf, it ignores thousands of years of human history.

And people wonder why it's really dumb to be conservative... HOW does it make it okay just because YOU did it? How does it make it okay just because THEY did it? If fewer and fewer children need to work during high school, it's a sign of PROGRESS. How is it that anyone can deny this? I feel no shame that I didn't have to work, and I feel no shame that I was able to focus on school and fun and the rest of the enjoyable parts of life back then. Why should I be chided for having video games bought for me, or for getting a car at 16 or anything of the sort? I feel fortunate, yes, and I feel no superior to anyone else. But wasn't the whole point to have a better life than my parents had? So that I can be an even more positive member of society later on in life?

This mentality of "this way worked back then, so it is the correct way now" and "I did it, and I turned out just fine" needs to stop. It just sounds like a bunch of justifications for a situation you had to accept.

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:45 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Who's chiding you for having it easy?

We're just saying that working in high school wasn't a bad thing. HAVING to sucks, sure. But having a job in America as a teenager still puts you ahead of about 90% of the rest of the world, so why bitch?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:00 am  

Old Conservative Faggot

Fantastique wrote:
This mentality of "this way worked back then, so it is the correct way now" and "I did it, and I turned out just fine" needs to stop. It just sounds like a bunch of justifications for a situation you had to accept.

The flip side of this is that "that's how it used to be done, so we have to change it because 'progress'" needs to stop. There's a lot of "progress" that hasn't done anything but created or added to miserable outcomes like broken homes. The last 50-100 years of "progress" amounts to a lot of throwing out the baby with the bath water.

You don't feel like you need to feel bad about your childhood, which was relatively easier than that of some others, so why would you think those of us who didn't have the same advantages need to "justify" the situations in which we grew up? It's a lot easier to justify having to work and struggle for what you have than it is to justify the life of relative ease.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

Post subject: Minimum Wage Would be $22 an Hour If...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am  

Str8 Actin Dude

I think most parents do a mix of right and wrong, but I'll be bold and say no one gets it entirely right.

There's the whole nature vs nurture thing to consider as well. You can't accurately gauge a human being and that human being's probability of personal success in today's world based on where they come from.

The reality is, most people nowadays are struggling, regardless of whether they had jobs in high school or not. Regardless of who their parents are, or what high school / University they attended.

Conservatives are by and large anti-reality though, so they'll bring out the BACK IN MY DAY bullshit and try to argue the sky isn't really blue all day long.

The REALITY is, if a child has to work against their will for any reason, that is a borderline criminal offense on the part of their parents. We need to get away from "anyone who won't work more than 40 hours a week for dickshit pay is lazy" and get more towards "anyone who can't decide what color their 4th yacht should be while 4 million Americans are homeless is GREEDY."

Brawlsack

Taking an extended hiatus from gaming

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:12 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Oh please. Working 40 a week for dickshit pay is still more honorable than sitting on your dead ass collecting a government check for doing nothing(except in extreme circumstances such as crippled on the jobs/other disabilities). And you damn sure don't get rich working part time, so I don't see where all this anti-work ethic is coming from.

Not too long ago, people were considered adults at sixteen. I get that times change, but I don't think social evolution has mad us LESS capable human beings. So I'll grant you that since they can't vote, or join the military, or do any other of that wonderful shit we adults do that they probably shouldn't be considered full adults in high school with all the responsibilities that go with adulthood, but they for FUCK sure aren't babies. As soon as you can start making things easier on your family, you should start doing so.

And there's nothing bold about saying no parents get it all the way right, that's just captain obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:35 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

Back in my day, the sky was azure. Lazy goddamn kids with their blue fucking skies.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 am  

Stupid Schlemiel

Jubbergun wrote:
Back in my day, the sky was azure. Lazy goddamn kids with their blue fucking skies.

Your Pal,
Jubber

and before your day people spelled things with U's that you no longer use. Does that make you a lazy kid?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:53 am  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

Back in my day we were all particles in an infinitely dense singularity.

Then the liberals came by and it all blew up.

"Ok we aren't such things and birds are pretty advanced. They fly and shit from anywhere they want. While we sit on our automatic toilets, they're shitting on people and my car while a cool breeze tickles their anus. That's the life."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

Jushiro wrote:
and before your day people spelled things with U's that you no longer use. Does that make you a lazy kid?

Yeus, tuo bue hounest, iut probaubly doues.

Your Pual,

Jubbeur

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"