Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:26 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Corecraft
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:10 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

but it's gonna take foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

find any good vanilla servers during your research into this?

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:19 pm  

Feckless Fool

scriptcraft was alright, but even then there were some pretty big problems. i guess the core or whatever they used to make these servers is from an early build of BC, or maybe the patch right before BC, and thus damage coefficients are way off. we had a warlock in AQ20/MC gear doing 800 dps, which, if you ever raided in vanilla, you'd know that's wrong. i have a screenshot somewhere from my actual naxx raids from way back and we only had people pushing ~1100 or so on shit like patchwerk to give you a comparison, and we were a good enough guild to be on sapphiron.

there were also 2 guilds who pulled ahead and thus the GM was all over their nuts and tuned shit poorly for them. you can watch things like their nefarian video or twin emps and the spawn rates are hilariously slow, and because everyone does inflated damage, shit dies way too quickly. i wouldn't bitch because it's a private server, but PVE progression is everything in vanilla. having a bunch of mouthbreathing retards stomp PVP because of poorly tuned content ruins everything, and there were a shitload of said retards, some of which made aprilswift or goldorc look like they should be playing for money. i'm pretty sure the majority of them never actually played retail WoW.

was still good nostalgia though and some of the community was hilarious as shit. some of the griefing was easily on par with some of the stuff that actually happened back in the day, and there were even some good AV games. corecraft looks pretty promising too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:34 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

don't know why wow doesn't release classic or BC servers with ease of living updates

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:46 pm  

Pinheaded Pissant

Usdk wrote:
don't know why wow doesn't release classic or BC servers with ease of living updates

Limited resources and resource allocation I think makes the most sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:53 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

I call bullshit. blizzard has resources

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:02 pm  

French Faggot

There's a difference between resources and infinite money.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:10 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

I don't really think that it would cost that much money either.

I just think there's less interest in it than say....classic DAoC servers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:02 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Highscore wrote:
Usdk wrote:

Limited resources and resource allocation I think makes the most sense.

No it doesn't. Runescape released "old school" servers before they fucked up everything after removing the wilderness and all that other faggotry and it's amazing.

Druid: Meowth
« Steam »« Xfire »
Glorious Death Metal Music

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:04 am  

Pinheaded Pissant

You guys are looking at this from the perspective that Blizzard can just get anyone at any point in time. I think you are not taking into account what they get back from it and what this investment would cost them beyond the monetary value.

To start a new classic server would take GM's, server space, maintenance, technicians, oversight, ect. They can either hire new people or shift other people to the classic project.

Well, if you hire new people, you now need to pay them. People are expensive. It's more than just paying them, you now have to cover benifit's, you have to cover the paperwork, you have to go through a hiring process, you need to manage them, and probably some other factors. Your only return on the project is money because the project cannot evolve since its purpose is to emulate what has already happened. Despite the loss in subscribers, I don't think bliz is hurting for money.
The return from maintaining current servers and developing the current project (MoP) is more than just money; you learn what new things can or cannot work. I think blizzard is more interested in this return.

The other option was to shift people away. Well now you are taking resources away from your other projects. Last I checked blizzard was trying to get a new MMO off the ground and probably some other things as well. Again, the return is just money from a fan base that already likes their game. I would think the return from a new game would be much higher; larger profits, new ideas tested, larger media coverage, and probably some other things.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 am  

Feckless Fool

plz stop making sense

i would like to know factually what kind of demand there would be for legitimate legacy servers

my gut says it ain't that big, at least not as far as paying customers goes who aren't already subscribed

Laetitia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 am  

Pinheaded Pissant

Spacehunter wrote:
plz stop making sense

i would like to know factually what kind of demand there would be for legitimate legacy servers

my gut says it ain't that big, at least not as far as paying customers goes who aren't already subscribed

Agreed, but I have no solid evidence. The best I can offer is the numbers on private servers which is not a true comparison. They are out there and have players, but I don't think the volume compares with what bliz would need to make it a profitable investment. Just to reiterate though, I think bliz is looking for more than just money as a return when it invests.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am  

Feckless Fool

what was the cap per server in vanilla? i know it's not a huge number, but scriptcraft reached 2000+ online pretty steadily for a while, and there were other servers just as, if not more populated as it. it's also hard to say about the demand since the majority of the playerbase now started with wrath, and it's also hard to say how many nostalgia fags would actually resub for it. as much as i like the idea of a legitimate server without any of the shit listed above that happened in scriptcraft, and just worked 100% of the way, there were also a hell of a lot of things that happened that people wouldn't get away with on retail, and it added to the experience quite a bit. mind controlling people out of battlegrounds would send them cratering in silverpine, and there were some pretty hilarious screenshots of alliance chat when we first figured it out. the entire AQ event was also full of shenanigans.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:44 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

I need some kind of not retail wow to play until this comes out. Any suggestions note that script craft is dead and cold and six feet under

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:15 pm  

Attention Whore

Fantastique wrote:
I need some kind of not retail wow to play until this comes out. Any suggestions note that script craft is dead and cold and six feet under

Rift, Free to Play, not shitty and the player base just got huge because of the switch.

Plus is leagues better than when it originally launched.

Engi-nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:16 pm  

French Faggot

(he's lying, it's shit)

disclaimer: have not played, but I know it's a sub-par clone.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next