Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: TCG Megathread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:10 pm  

Feckless Fool

Xeoni originally wrote:
My friend suggested breaking out the ol' yugioh cards last night. I told him that magic the gathering has a larger popularity atm but I'm not sure. Which of the two card games is more casual friendly? I'd like to get a nice deck, build it a little, and then just sit tight with it. Which game?

------

What Is This Thread?

It's anything and everything related to Trading Card Games (TCG), like Magic: The Gathering or Yugioh.

Linking Cards

To link a card, and give it a fancy mouseover effect, use the [card] tags (Thanks Rikkilake). Please note that these only work for Magic the Gathering cards.

Example:
Code:
[card]Akroma, Angel of Wrath[/card]

Will get you this: Akroma, Angel of Wrath

Helpful Stuff

Magic: The Gathering Official Site
M:TG Gatherer (Card Database)
M:TG Banned/Restricted Lists
Cockatrice (Used to play online)

Yu-Gi-Oh Official Site
Yu-Gi-Oh Forbidden/Limited/Semi-Limited List
Yugioh Virtual Desktop (Use to play online)

Post subject: Re: You gay hoe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:07 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

magic

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:23 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Neither

Aestu of Bleeding Hollow...

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 pm  

Feckless Fool

I don't know shit about magic. How's the gameplay, the card artwork, etc?

All I want is to put on a massive grin and say, "You just activated my trap card!" But does Magic have trap card of some sort?

Last edited by Xeoni on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Aestu wrote:
Neither

Azelma

Post subject: You gay hoe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:46 pm  

Str8 Actin Dude

C) Gas money for DC road trip and take Usd too

Brawlsack

Taking an extended hiatus from gaming

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Magic, unlike Yugioh or Pokemon or other such games, is more fluid and dynamic and isn't centered around one type of card. The pacing of a game is overall pretty similar to an arena match. It's not really about setting up that "gotcha" moment, it's a slow battle for overall control.

Magic art was amazing in Vintage, a series of expansions running from 1993 to 2003, but due to financial and cultural considerations they decided to make a lot of the same sort of bad decisions that brought WoW down. After that point they decided to adopt the artistic style of Pokemon/Yugioh type games, with harshly inorganic backgrounds and stereotyped anime-like artwork, and they decided to stop making "cool" or "weird" cards, instead confining card design to the metagame.

The game has regained some following since then, but as a whole it's a lot more nerdy and dominated by awkward kids and neckbeards, and the homogenizing emphasis on the functional and the block system means that buying packs feels a lot less fun/suspenseful and more like just pissing away cash.

If you want to play the game for "fun" with your so-called "friends", I recommend picking up some Vintage cards. You can probably find them in bulk cheaply somewhere. Like I said, they have better art and lend themselves to original theme decks and general lulz more than the very staid current content.

Aestu of Bleeding Hollow...

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Magic: A starter deck or two and 10 booster packs will get you a decent deck in most cases

Yugioh: Hope there is a common reprint of all the good cards you need because otherwise you will spend $40-120 per card

I prefer Yugioh over Magic, though Magic seems more casual friendly because a starter deck is actually decent. But I'm not sure how much Konami has improved the Yugioh starters. They were absolutely terrible before and the only reason you bought one was for a single card before reprints came along. It's a shame the place Weena and myself would go to tournaments shut down :(. Best Saturdays ever.

Druid: Meowth
« Steam »« Xfire »
Glorious Death Metal Music

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 pm  

Feckless Fool

So I picked up a 2012 yugioh starter deck. There are hardly any 'normal' monsters now and every 'effect' monster has a long as fuck description. The actual effect of the cards are great, at least for this samurai centered deck I picked up, and they're all reliant on each other. The only card from the deck that I remember is the butt hole I mean black hole magic card.

I'm going to punch the deck code online and see if it's any fun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:05 pm  

Feckless Fool

Actually, fuck... I can't find an online emulator.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 pm  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

Magic has a proprietary online version.

Yugioh may still have YVD (Yugioh Virtual Dueler), but I haven't played nor used that software for...

minimum of 5 years so I can't say if it's still around.

Magic is probably friendlier to casuals, there as so many cards with so little use outside their niche decks that you have very few meta-cards like you (atleast used to, again, haven't done anything with it for a minimum of 5 years) had in Yugioh. They also sell basic starter decks with easier to grasp themes to them.

I remember when if you didn't have a Yata-Garasu, you're chances of winning a tournament were slimmer than an anorexic caught under a steamroller.

If you do roll Yugioh though, I recommend a Remove From Play Deck featuring Gren Maju De Eiza. The whole deck was slow but all the cards relying on cards removed from play, monsters benefitting from removing things from play (Chaos Ghostrider, Bazoo the Soul-Eater), control monsters removing things from play (D.D. Warrior Lady), made for a deck where everything kind of combo'd with eachother.

This was a deck I used years ago though, and it wasn't very effective in tournament play (where the goal of everyone was to win as soon as possible), but I always had fun playing it, and none of the essential cards were super expensive. Most are probably dirt cheap now.

"Ok we aren't such things and birds are pretty advanced. They fly and shit from anywhere they want. While we sit on our automatic toilets, they're shitting on people and my car while a cool breeze tickles their anus. That's the life."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

http://cockatrice.de/

use that and play magic for free

█▀█ █ █░█ █░█ █ █░ █▀█ █░█ █▀▀
█▀▄ █ █▀▄ █▀▄ █ █░ █▀█ █▀▄ █▀▀
▀░▀ ▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀
sunshine.kittens.bubblegum.happythoughts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:04 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Weena wrote:
Magic has a proprietary online version.

Yugioh may still have YVD (Yugioh Virtual Dueler), but I haven't played nor used that software for...

minimum of 5 years so I can't say if it's still around.

Magic is probably friendlier to casuals, there as so many cards with so little use outside their niche decks that you have very few meta-cards like you (atleast used to, again, haven't done anything with it for a minimum of 5 years) had in Yugioh. They also sell basic starter decks with easier to grasp themes to them.

I remember when if you didn't have a Yata-Garasu, you're chances of winning a tournament were slimmer than an anorexic caught under a steamroller.

If you do roll Yugioh though, I recommend a Remove From Play Deck featuring Gren Maju De Eiza. The whole deck was slow but all the cards relying on cards removed from play, monsters benefitting from removing things from play (Chaos Ghostrider, Bazoo the Soul-Eater), control monsters removing things from play (D.D. Warrior Lady), made for a deck where everything kind of combo'd with eachother.

This was a deck I used years ago though, and it wasn't very effective in tournament play (where the goal of everyone was to win as soon as possible), but I always had fun playing it, and none of the essential cards were super expensive. Most are probably dirt cheap now.

You was lacking dem Cyber Dragons mang. First-turn Yata lock 10/10 would play again.
Actually, that Cyber Jar/Morphing Jar deckout deck was the best thing ever next to Magical scientist FTK/OTK. Decking out your opponent before they could even draw and play a card while they just stared at you doing what seemed like a bunch of nonsensical and retarded card playing. Then the pattern appears. :D

Druid: Meowth
« Steam »« Xfire »
Glorious Death Metal Music

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:02 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

rikkilake wrote:

downloading this :O

facebumnuts - much face much bum much nuts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:36 pm  

Feckless Fool

rikkilake wrote:

hey danks

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next