Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:24 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: @Nerds near Chicago
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 pm  

French Faggot

Aestu wrote:
Uh, hands up, who actually read all this shit by me? =P

<--

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:01 am  

Kunckleheaded Knob

I read it.

Weren't you going to get a job out there?

Çhubathingy - Shaman - Royal Militia
Hoenhiem - Paladin - Royal Militia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 am  

Blathering Buffoon

Yuratuhl wrote:
Aestu wrote:

<--

I seriously wish I could make running errands sound so interesting. T-T

s^ | Kay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:31 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

DoubleH wrote:
Weren't you going to get a job out there?

I have only two sets of clothes - a very dilapidated pair of olive cargos and a pair of amphibious shorts. I had to take out a substantial amount of debt to get out here, and I don't feel comfortable taking out any more.

For this same reason, I am actually sleeping on the floor, for want of a cot or bed. New clothes must wait for next month, unless I find a really good buy.

Aestu of Bleeding Hollow...

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

Yuratuhl wrote:
Aestu wrote:

<--

I have never once read any of Aestu's wall-o-text posts; what's wrong with you nerds?

Edit: Fixed double negative.

█▀█ █ █░█ █░█ █ █░ █▀█ █░█ █▀▀
█▀▄ █ █▀▄ █▀▄ █ █░ █▀█ █▀▄ █▀▀
▀░▀ ▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀
sunshine.kittens.bubblegum.happythoughts

Last edited by rikkilake on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:38 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

rikkilake wrote:
I haven't never once read any of Aestu's wall-o-text posts; what's wrong with you nerds?

Double negative, methinks a Freudian slip

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm  
Kunckleheaded Knob

Your analysis of the two indian buffets is spot on with my own observations and experiences.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mazeltov

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:28 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

rikkilake wrote:
Yuratuhl wrote:
Aestu wrote:

<--

I have never once read any of Aestu's wall-o-text posts; what's wrong with you nerds?

Edit: Fixed double negative.

D:

Maybe you'd change your feelings about him if you did. Or solidify them. Never know til you try.

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:56 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

So, the secret is out.

Yesterday, my parents put rent and allowance in my account. $1150 "rent", $600 expenses. I took $300 and began to pay down down the debt, which, with interest, will take about a year to fully discharge. I took another $200 paid the internet bill, and settled accounts from my previous residence. $300 is earmarked for sundry expenses - food, power, internet, that sort of thing.

I spent $150 buying some new clothes from eBay and Overstock - a bunch of long sleeve shirts of dress/casual varieties, a pair of shorts, some khakis and cargos, and some undies. I had wisely picked up a nice sports coat used for $20 before leaving Boston, and purchased a dress shirt and dress pants to match. My first outfit had arrived the other day, so now that I had something to wear, I began replying to adverts on Craigslist. I am confident I can score at least one job soon and begin building capital.

And today I paid my first rent. They insisted on a personal check - last time, I'd used a money order, but I didn't have the time or inclination to go down and buy another one. I wrote a check for $650, knowing that it would be scanned and my parents would see it pop up online. Characteristically, I decided to take the initiative to call up my parents and announce the move and how well things were going - and characteristically, they gave the most infuriating response possible.

"Oh, that's nice Ethan, glad it worked out."

So that's all you can say? Argue and hector about it and go back and forth and insist it won't work and be negative and all you can say when it worked out better than expected is, "that's nice"? Not, "Sorry we doubted you," or "You were right and we were wrong"?

It's no surprise I have such an arrogant and headstrong personality.

I spent most of the rest of the day setting up the remaining things, which had languished in their boxes as I didn't feel inclined to set them up until other items had arrived, particularly a kitchen trashcan. My lamp had taken severe damage during the trip from Boston - my fault really, I didn't box or protect it or anything, just threw it in there - and I'd purchased a new lampshade off eBay for $20. It looks better than before, I think. About a third of the limestone tiles for my desks broke in the mail, but fortunately, there is a quarry down the street; I will take some of the chunks there and get replacements when I can spare the cash.

I had also purchased some National Geographic centerfolds before leaving Boston - a buck each - and put more of them up - I need more wall art as there is more wall in this bigger apartment. I will also go buy some business cards and have a professional photo taken. A while back, Mazel had suggested I seek employment as a tutor, but I didn't believe the suggestion was practical in Boston due to outrageous competition. There are fewer talents here in Cincinnati, so I plan on belatedly implementing his suggestion here.

I was going to go walk to Kroghetto and peruse yard sales on the way, but it is overcast and I didn't feel like it anyway. It began to snow mid-day, actually. I'm told that is typical here in March. Maybe next weekend.

On Monday I intend to send out more resumes. While I wait for responses, I am going to trek to the trashy, nearly-dead Tristate Mall, and sit and eat the cheap food they serve, read a book, play with my DS-61-2 action figure, try to find a live-in amongst those who are the typical mid-day weekday young female patrons of such a place, and write, amongst other things, about all else that has happened.

PS: I am aware this post is far less interesting than usual

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:18 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

So, I read three lines and have this to say:
1) Your parents give you $1150/mo for rent? WTF?
2) Your parents give you an allowance still? WTF?

Aren't you mid-to-late-20s like almost everyone else here?
Get a job, hippy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:34 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

1) $1150 is how much rent was in Boston. It's $650 here in Cincinnati.
2) Yes, as opposed to an employer or the government. What difference does it make?

I'm 27. There are more people than jobs. Don't pretend the job market is fair or rational or that employment equates with personal or social worth or that half the shit people get paid to do these days has some intrinsic value.

I could get the same standard of living (or better) packing bags, would spending eight hours a day mindlessly packing bags be a basis for validation? Someone who tortures themself to make a point when they have the option not to is either crazy or a fool. Am I lucky? Sure. Why not take advantage of that luck?

Nihilism is a copout.

Last edited by Aestu on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:35 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Yes it would.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:36 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Usdk wrote:
Yes it would.

Packing bags = better person? Logic please.

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:40 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

Aestu wrote:
Usdk wrote:
Yes it would.

Packing bags = better person? Logic please.

You're the "why didn't we have an abortion?" equivalent of people living on welfare because it's easier.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:43 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

rikkilake wrote:
You're the "why didn't we have an abortion?" equivalent of people living on welfare because it's easier.

In the current situation, it is a very sensible choice.

There are more people than jobs. The standard of living that minimum wage provides compared to welfare is incredibly marginal. Wage slavery is slavery all the same and someone who accepts it because they're told to is a fool.

What makes you think people are so horrible they deserve to toil for subsistence?

My parents had the option at many junctures to do more with me and my life. They didn't, because they are obtuse, selfish and lazy. I have gone to considerable risk and difficulty to be here in Cincinnati when I could sit in my room in Boston because I was not content going nowhere. I made a plan for the future, and am committed to it.

I fail to see how aspiring to more than the passivity my parents would seem to prefer means I should have been aborted - except insofar as perhaps they should have known better than to become parents.

Nihilism is a copout.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next