Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:25 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Valentine's Help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Dotzilla wrote:
Divorce rate = 50%
Job title = Family/Marital therapist

Capitalism!

Yep.

Same as bottled water, HIV meds, antidepressants, gasoline, you name it.

Why solve a problem when you can profit off its perpetuation?

Aestu of Bleeding Hollow...

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:47 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Aestu wrote:
Azelma wrote:
My GF, who studying to be a Marital and Family Therapist (don't start, Aestu, I know where you stand on it... ;p) would disagree with this.

Her field of study is the prevailing wisdom.

The prevailing wisdom clearly does not work.

Therefore the prevailing wisdom is wrong.

Therefore her field of study is a fraud and so is she.

She can disagree all she wants. Whether she's right on this particular issue or not, her field is fraudulent, and so is she. Because if she were thinking critically, it would be blatantly obvious to her that it is so.

You just couldn't help yourself, could you?

Dotzilla wrote:
Divorce rate = 50%
Job title = Family/Marital therapist

Capitalism!

Considering she'll end up working with low income clients barely making enough to pay back her student loans, trying desperately to keep urban families together, she made a pretty dumb capitalistic choice.

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

The capitalist system is predicated on people making dumb capitalist choices. In a zero-sum system, for someone to win, someone else must lose. This is also why fiat money exists. (And it's why, without tax-and-spend, the system is known to contain the seeds of its own destruction.)

Shrinkology requires little real skill, and shrinkologists are highly paid. They have a high profit-to-expenditure ratio. Therefore, the cost and supply of shrinkological credentials ballooned, creating a surplus. Now that surplus is laying unsold on discount racks, being handed off with subsidy to "low-income families". This is also why I have whole cabinets full of chocolate, porcelain, and other really nice stuff that cost less than a single shirt or pair of pants.

Phrenologists, lobotomists, sophists, and other such types used to command big salaries. Because they didn't really have answers, they were eventually discredited, and the qualifications plummeted in value.

Boom-and-bust is how the capitalist system operates. But the mere fact and principles of its operation, does not mean that the system results in a world that is livable or desirable. This is what economists glibly write off as "externalities" - broken lives, worthless credentials, a rootless society, a despoiled natural environment.

It's a bubble. Your girlfriend just came in on the wrong side of it, and prefers to substitute wishes for truth. Like many people in America, she's in the market for a fig leaf. You could argue that I fit that category too.

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:02 pm  

Blathering Buffoon

It wasn't a reference to be applied personally, it was an example of commonly implemented ironies.

Verily, I have often laughed at weaklings who thought themselves proud because they had no claws.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

You're showing a bit of ignorance here, Aestu, though I'm not surprised. If she WANTED to, she could make sure she works in a practice located in the rich suburbs. She's smart enough and could definitely build the client base. Thing is....

She did not go into the field to become rich, or to serve wealthy yuppies. She wanted to help keep families together because she believes (as we have discussed previously) that a stable family unit and parents staying together is better for society overall.

However, in order to do this she will have to either:
1) Work for the state (essentially as a social worker)
2) Work in a private practice that uses a sliding scale fee...only charging lower income people what they can afford (and if they can't afford anything, you guessed it, free)

She stands to make little more than someone working fast food.

You can disagree with the field, call her a fraud and whatever else you want to say....but at least she's trying to make a difference in people's lives and definitely not profiting off it. She wants to work with couples, but she'd probably have low income clients with severe depression, suicidal issues, and so on.

Oh and she's fervently anti-medication. So she won't be some shrink who just says "here's some zombie pills"

I must ask though, what are you doing to help people?

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm  

Blathering Buffoon

Oh snap, Azelma whippin' dat dick around.

Verily, I have often laughed at weaklings who thought themselves proud because they had no claws.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

So you say - but the objective, empirical reality is something else.

What she does, doesn't work, and yields worse results than tested alternatives (including the null option).

Azelma wrote:

Same thing your girlfriend claims to be doing. Talking.

Except I don't get paid, and I don't get social legitimacy either.

Sorry to derail. Really.

Can we get back to talking about how Dr. Aladdin is cheating on a superintelligent Tera Patrick clone?

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:19 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Aestu wrote:
So you say - but the objective, empirical reality is something else.

What she does, doesn't work, and yields worse results than tested alternatives (including the null option).

You have yet to show me a 100% conclusion that talk therapy "never works" other than your own opinion.

And you've certainly never proven that couples therapy doesn't work. You've also never shown me that it yields worse results than tested alternatives. Give me the study and I'll find you a study that shows couple's therapy can work.

What is the alternative to couples therapy? Do you even know what couples therapy is?

I mean...if a marriage has to deal with infidelity...is there some other place they can go for help with such problems? What is the alternative other than 1) Trying to work it out themselves without any guide save idk...the internet or 2) Divorce

You don't think it could possibly be helpful to have a mediator with a significant amount of experience helping couples work through their relationship issues?

Aestu wrote:
Azelma wrote:

Same thing your girlfriend claims to be doing. Talking.

Except I don't get paid, and I don't get social legitimacy either.

Yeah, it's the same thing. Name me a list of people you've helped aside from mayyyybe a few FUBU bros? And have you ever helped anyone on here with a significant problem? I don't mean help thinking critically...I mean...have you ever helped anyone who is suicidal? Have you ever helped reconcile a couple? Have you ever helped with any of that?

My girlfriend helped a couple separated and thinking about divorce realize they wanted to stay together...they moved back in and now seem to be happy. She's gotten periodic happy email updates from them thanking her. What have you done?

And are you dedicating your life to learning about how to help people? Even if all the books she reads and professors she talks to are full of shit...you don't think it's possible that sitting in a room with a couple and learning about them and talking with them about their issues and in some cases...getting them to open up about their feelings when they couldn't before helps?

Really?

Aestu wrote:
Sorry to derail. Really.

Can we get back to talking about how Dr. Aladdin is cheating on a superintelligent Tera Patrick clone?

Yes, let's do that

Azelma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Hahaha you guys are great. And I don't feel ganged up on at all, I enojy constructive criticism because it's really the only way to better oneself. If you guys weren't my friends I wouldn't have pitched this dilemma to you in the first place, and if I wasn't looking for honest responses I'd have asked my mom. So I appreciate it guys <3

It really just came down to distance. We skype a decent amount, but not everyday and not for long because we're both busy as hell and the internet here sucks. I can't really commit to anything except my studies at the moment, and pretty much everyone here is in the same boat in that respect. That includes the women, meaning it's really easy to go out one night a week, wait for some bhangra song, bust out some punjabi moves, and take her (or them... soon! lollll jkjk) home. Right now, the one I made the brulee for is super busy because her first round of exams is coming up so... I've acquired another target. Or rather, this one has acquired ME as HER target. When I say this island is temptation island, I really mean it lol.

To be fair to myself though, I'm not going purely on looks when it comes to these hookups. I've met a few girls that I've become friends with.. a couple that I never even hooked up with. What this means is that I usually cast a wide net when I go out, chat up a few catches, see who I connect with and proceed from there. I'm really just going with the flow here, I've always been that sorta guy.

But none have really struck me like my home girl. Yet. I'm not shutting myself out totally, but I have sincere doubts that anyone here will beat her. Only time will tell I suppose.

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:23 pm  
Kunckleheaded Knob

As long as she knows your her bottom bitch she prob ok.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mazeltov

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 pm  

French Faggot

Let me know if one of your girls is named Anita, Fant.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

It's not cheating. ASSUMING you are in a committed monogamous relationship does not make it so. Unless they've talked about it and laid out the ground rules, fanta is free to do as he wishes.

At least those are my rules in the matter.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:27 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Usdk wrote:
It's not cheating. ASSUMING you are in a committed monogamous relationship does not make it so. Unless they've talked about it and laid out the ground rules, fanta is free to do as he wishes.

You are not a woman

Nihilism is a copout.

Post subject: Re: Re: Valentine's Help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:51 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

Usdk wrote:

I don't think I've ever exclusively set "rules" with a relationship. It seems so controlling. Maybe it would be helpful? Most women expect to hear "hey, I'm seeing other people too" after the 3rd interaction. Being explicit makes sure that there are no misunderstandings or hurt feelings.

I am not a fan of dating multiple people at once. I did that when I was in college (dates only, no sex) and I found it difficult to forge a meaningful connection with anyone. I'm happiest in a monogamous relationship with an abundance of sexual activity. But I have a vagina, so that is to be expected :p

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Callysta of Reverence

Post subject: Re: Re: Valentine's Help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Callysta wrote:
I don't think I've ever exclusively set "rules" with a relationship. It seems so controlling. Maybe it would be helpful? Most women expect to hear "hey, I'm seeing other people too" after the 3rd interaction. Being explicit makes sure that there are no misunderstandings or hurt feelings.

I am not a fan of dating multiple people at once. I did that when I was in college (dates only, no sex) and I found it difficult to forge a meaningful connection with anyone. I'm happiest in a monogamous relationship with an abundance of sexual activity. But I have a vagina, so that is to be expected :p

This is a woman

Women don't approach relationships and life in general in the highly rationalized way men do. They are semantic and touchy-feely. Men, not women, invented written contracts and treaties (metaphorically speaking). A woman isn't going to predicate her feelings, expectations and behaviors in terms of what is or isn't said. To her, there's no difference.

Nihilism is a copout.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next