Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 12, 2024 3:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Re: Re: Valentine's Help
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:20 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

Aestu wrote:
Callysta wrote:
I don't think I've ever exclusively set "rules" with a relationship. It seems so controlling. Maybe it would be helpful? Most women expect to hear "hey, I'm seeing other people too" after the 3rd interaction. Being explicit makes sure that there are no misunderstandings or hurt feelings.

I am not a fan of dating multiple people at once. I did that when I was in college (dates only, no sex) and I found it difficult to forge a meaningful connection with anyone. I'm happiest in a monogamous relationship with an abundance of sexual activity. But I have a vagina, so that is to be expected :p

This is a woman

Women don't approach relationships and life in general in the highly rationalized way men do. They are semantic and touchy-feely. Men, not women, invented written contracts and treaties (metaphorically speaking). A woman isn't going to predicate her feelings, expectations and behaviors in terms of what is or isn't said. To her, there's no difference.

I said most women. Not all women. If I haven't had verbal confirmation that I am a man's girlfriend, then I am just a girl that is his friend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Callysta of Reverence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

Callysta wrote:
Aestu wrote:
Callysta wrote:
I don't think I've ever exclusively set "rules" with a relationship. It seems so controlling. Maybe it would be helpful? Most women expect to hear "hey, I'm seeing other people too" after the 3rd interaction. Being explicit makes sure that there are no misunderstandings or hurt feelings.

I am not a fan of dating multiple people at once. I did that when I was in college (dates only, no sex) and I found it difficult to forge a meaningful connection with anyone. I'm happiest in a monogamous relationship with an abundance of sexual activity. But I have a vagina, so that is to be expected :p

This is a woman

Women don't approach relationships and life in general in the highly rationalized way men do. They are semantic and touchy-feely. Men, not women, invented written contracts and treaties (metaphorically speaking). A woman isn't going to predicate her feelings, expectations and behaviors in terms of what is or isn't said. To her, there's no difference.

I said most women. Not all women. If I haven't had verbal confirmation that I am a man's girlfriend, then I am just a girl that is his friend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

So, this one post is all that I've read of this thread, and I can once again confirm that Aestu will die alone.
With all the travelling I do, it's nice to have some consistency.

█▀█ █ █░█ █░█ █ █░ █▀█ █░█ █▀▀
█▀▄ █ █▀▄ █▀▄ █ █░ █▀█ █▀▄ █▀▀
▀░▀ ▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀
sunshine.kittens.bubblegum.happythoughts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Callysta wrote:

You should get it in writing, imo. A lot of notaries get good business that way.

rikkilake wrote:
So, this one post is all that I've read of this thread, and I can once again confirm that Aestu will die alone.

Aestu of Bleeding Hollow...

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 pm  

Obtuse Oaf

Aestu wrote:
Callysta wrote:
You should get it in writing, imo. A lot of notaries get good business that way.
http://xkcd.com/285/

█▀█ █ █░█ █░█ █ █░ █▀█ █░█ █▀▀
█▀▄ █ █▀▄ █▀▄ █ █░ █▀█ █▀▄ █▀▀
▀░▀ ▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀ ▀▀ ▀░▀ ▀░▀ ▀▀▀
sunshine.kittens.bubblegum.happythoughts

Post subject: Re: Valentine's Help
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

This thread is made of marmite

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:45 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

What I'm getting from this thread so far (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the women here don't necessarily think I'm wrong, but that my actions may cause me to lose the woman I want to marry. And that they want me to be happy and think rationally. I may not be wrong, but I'm doing may still very well lead to me losing her (it's not like she's gonna say to herself "oh well Shu wasn't wrong so I'm just gonna stay with him"). They don't want me to be sad just because I couldn't keep it in my pants.

This is why I love you, gals.

But like I said, I could be wrong. I'd still love you all though.

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 am  

Old Conservative Faggot

Aestu wrote:
This is completely untrue.

Ah, this old trope. "You're wrong because I said so." It's funny you should say that then make the case that it isn't.

Aestu wrote:
Jubbergun wrote:
That's what they'd like you to believe. Honestly, marital infidelity was socially frowned upon regardless of which gender was the offending party,

Meeting with whores or other women of ill repute is okay, as long as the man (or woman) kept it to himself.

First off, marital infidelity such as you describe wasn't "OK," just because the offending party didn't get caught. What you're saying is that so long as the offending party successfully kept their behavior secret, there were no consequences. What were the consequences if they failed to keep their behavior secret, and why were there consequences if that individual's behavior became known to others? Oh, yes, it was BECAUSE MARITAL INFIDELITY WAS SOCIALLY FROWNED UPON REGARDLESS OF GENDER.

Thanks for making the case for me.

Aestu wrote:
Jubbergun wrote:
the only difference was that the possible consequences for women were worse since their husband could basically drop them and they'd have no means of support and wouldn't have much chance of marrying (and by extension finding support) again if he could prove infidelity. That was the only disadvantage women ever had in the matter, and it was a financial one.

Walking out on one's wife was a major stigma, it's tantamount to turning one's back on society and is regarded in kind.

It was so for a very useful reason. As you point out, the man who walked out on his family, had an economic advantage. Society considered moral factors more important than economic ones, so it took steps to check the advantage of those who saw it the other way, by stigmatizing walk-outs and such.

Do you think it's funny that despite the post you replied to (and quoted) being "completely untrue" you are acknowledging that the "untruth" about women being at a financial disadvantage is, in fact, true?

Aestu wrote:
Go watch some movies, or read some books, from the first half of the century - the Twilight Zone series, for example, or Clint Eastwood movies (which are not accurate depictions of the Old West, but are very accurate depictions of the mores of the times in which they were made). Go read apolitical biographies of famous people (most Presidents before Reagan, for example).

Not only have I probably seen every spaghetti western that was filmed in the 70s more times than you've touched yourself while thinking about pixels--because my dad, and don't fucking get me started on it--I was, unlike you, actually alive during the period to which you're pointing.

Aestu wrote:
The reason you have the "Ronald Reagan B&W flick" view of the past that you do is because you get your notions on how it was from secondary sources (i.e., really bad blogs), never by looking at the past directly. The problem is, you look at the past - old books and movies, or others' perceptions of them - as a literal representation of the world they depicted, and not as a depiction of how those people saw the world and dealt with it - their value system.

Aestu Trope #2: I know what you've read and it's wrong. Always a treat.

You know, I don't believe I've ever actually seen a Ronald Reagan movie.

Aestu wrote:
The Torah commands that the corners of one's fields not be cut, that they be given to "the widow, the orphan, the stranger". Yes, being without a husband, or family/land/connections ("the stranger") was a terrible curse. But society had ways to manage it. The commandment is the direct religious equivalent of secular welfare.

The problem is, those kinds of social laws have a definite economic cost, and the libertarian/free market economics/"self-reliance" you support are fundamentally incompatible with those social mores. And when attempts are made to fill that same void with tax-and-spend, well, people try to argue that "free flow of wealth" will fulfill the moral need, when the fact is that just wasn't the case.

Charity and libertarian ideals aren't mutually exclusive. Even Ayn Rand saw nothing wrong with charity, and only objected to people engaging in charity out of guilt or due to social pressure instead of doing it because the philanthropist gained fulfillment from the act.

It's also funny how someone who chastises me for thinking people in the past were "motivated primarily by financial factors" keeps referring to the economics of marriage.

Aestu wrote:
In your very post. You think people back then were motivated primarily by financial factors. That is the bias of the present day. That is the difference between then and now. Moral wisdom versus cold, hard economics. That is the cost of the free market. Moral decay. Money makes right.

If you believe that marriage wasn't primarily a financial arrangement then you're the one operating with a modern bias. You even acknowledged as much when you agreed that men had an economic advantage. Why did the man have that economic advantage? Because he was the one with the capability to earn/produce...a capability his wife's productive efforts (cooking, cleaning, childcare) historically supported.

It's like you've adapted to more-and-more of us ignoring your gibbering half-assery by starting to argue with yourself. The arguing just for the sake of arguing silliness you engage in is, aside from being annoying, a sad cry for attention.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Jubber, I took apart what you said, but it's a waste of time and unnecessary anyway. It's enough to simply point out that what you describe is not how any society works, has ever worked, or can potentially work. That is all that needs to be said.

Nihilism is a copout.

Last edited by Aestu on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Fantastique wrote:
What I'm getting from this thread so far (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the women here don't necessarily think I'm wrong, but that my actions may cause me to lose the woman I want to marry. And that they want me to be happy and think rationally. I may not be wrong, but I'm doing may still very well lead to me losing her (it's not like she's gonna say to herself "oh well Shu wasn't wrong so I'm just gonna stay with him"). They don't want me to be sad just because I couldn't keep it in my pants. This is why I love you, gals.

Yes, yes. Exactly. Sleep on it.

Fantastique wrote:

We're just concealing our bitter jealousy behind a facade of disinterested benevolence.

<3

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:45 am  

Blathering Buffoon

Fantastique wrote:
What I'm getting from this thread so far (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that the women here don't necessarily think I'm wrong, but that my actions may cause me to lose the woman I want to marry. And that they want me to be happy and think rationally. I may not be wrong, but I'm doing may still very well lead to me losing her (it's not like she's gonna say to herself "oh well Shu wasn't wrong so I'm just gonna stay with him"). They don't want me to be sad just because I couldn't keep it in my pants.

This is why I love you, gals.

Pretty much. We're not here to judge you. Whether you're wrong or right won't matter. If she feels hurt or betrayed or something, saying you weren't together isn't going to magically change that. I personally just don't want to see you screw up a good thing that could have lasted for a very long time for a few quick lays. But we've already talked more in depth about this, so I'll leave it there.

s^ | Kay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

"Ok we aren't such things and birds are pretty advanced. They fly and shit from anywhere they want. While we sit on our automatic toilets, they're shitting on people and my car while a cool breeze tickles their anus. That's the life."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 am  

Old Conservative Faggot

Aestu wrote:
Jubber, I took apart what you said, but it's a waste of time and unnecessary anyway. It's enough to simply point out that what you describe is not how any society works, has ever worked, or can potentially work. That is all that needs to be said.

I think that is the closest you've ever come to actually admitting you were wrong. I'll consider that progress.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:55 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Jubbergun wrote:
Because I have gotten him to stop trying to teach me, I have a bit of room to pretend my ignorance is as good as his knowledge.

Nihilism is a copout.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:04 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm  

French Faggot

Shut the fuck up and let's go back to talking about the attractive Paki doctor.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next