Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:21 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minimum Wage Would be $22 an Hour If...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:04 pm  

French Faggot

Usdk wrote:
And if minimum wage was 22 an hour, teachers and police and firemen would quit in droves to go get a job flipping burgers because 22/hr as a full time job is over 45k a year. Cops and teachers and such only make like 35.

Where the hell do you live that police make 35k? Police are paid extremely well up here.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:06 pm  

Deliciously Trashy

Also, point sorta missed, zzzz.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:19 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Yuratuhl wrote:
Azelma, I'm pretty sure that was an untargeted "you" for emphasis and illustration. Quit taking everything so personally you fairy.

If that's true, then my bad. I guess I was just expecting Mayo to come after what I wrote in some way.

And hey, fairy's are cool.

Azelma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:39 pm  

MegaFaggot 5000

Usdk wrote:
And really? 22 dollars an hour? If I could make 22 dollars an hour at an unskilled no-brain job, colleges and universities would be fucking empty. And if minimum wage was 22 an hour, teachers and police and firemen would quit in droves to go get a job flipping burgers because 22/hr as a full time job is over 45k a year. Cops and teachers and such only make like 35.

The people in these fields sure as shit aren't in it for the pay at this point in time anyways (especially teachers). Not to mention that wages that would be near the newer minimum wage would also be increased dramatically so people don't just drop the jobs that they studied for for years to go and make french fries at mcdonald's (even though this would probably never happen).

The failure of people to properly pay people necessary to society like cops and teachers is another can of worms all together.

EDIT: I can also give less than 2 shits about middle class high schoolers getting beer money after school when there are people who work over 40 hours a week just to scrape by.

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:42 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

That's how much they get paid down here tuhl. more for county, more for state troopers, etc.

And you're right about it being another can of worms mayo, but when it comes to money, if you open one can, everyone else will want theirs opened too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:46 pm  

MegaFaggot 5000

I suppose they're sort of the same can, because both of them can be fixed by fixing the distribution of wealth in this country. If megacorps weren't allowed to have tax havens and given billions in refunds despite not paying any taxes, we'd have more than enough money coming in to pay teachers well.

RETIRED.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:06 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

Yuratuhl wrote:
DoubleH wrote:
(your $12 an hour figure doesn't mean shit, you can't live on 24k a year anymore than you can live off 18k).

Yeah, I also learned in school that those are the same number.

The point(even though you already know it and are just being an ass, most likely due to the other thread) is that 24k a year doesn't get you a place of your own to live in, a car that isn't 10 years old or any kind of savings.

The Gov forcing an employer to pay X more a year to employees is exactly the same as the Gov taxing that employer X and then giving it away in welfare. But with the cost of living the guy trying to make his living off 24k is STILL on welfare and thus the problem is not fixed.
Again I don't think that flipping burgers should be an ending point for making a living. Even if you had 2 people getting 24k each it wouldn't be enough for them to have a home and 2 cars and kids(and daycare for there kids since they are both working), its just not enough.

Çhubathingy - Shaman - Royal Militia
Hoenhiem - Paladin - Royal Militia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:27 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Mns wrote:
I suppose they're sort of the same can, because both of them can be fixed by fixing the distribution of wealth in this country. If megacorps weren't allowed to have tax havens and given billions in refunds despite not paying any taxes, we'd have more than enough money coming in to pay teachers well.

Now this I can agree on. And religious organizations should have to pay property taxes, at the least.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 pm  

MegaFaggot 5000

DoubleH wrote:
The Gov forcing an employer to pay X more a year to employees is exactly the same as the Gov taxing that employer X and then giving it away in welfare.

Ahahahahahaha

RETIRED.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:19 am  

Old Conservative Faggot

Mns wrote:
DoubleH wrote:
The Gov forcing an employer to pay X more a year to employees is exactly the same as the Gov taxing that employer X and then giving it away in welfare.

Ahahahahahaha

It's not exactly the same, because at least the ones being paid by an employer are working.

If we're going to raise the minimum wage, why stop at $22? Why not make it $100? Why not make sure all those "working poor" are no longer poor and are actually upper-middle class?

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:20 am  

French Faggot

Because that's a ridiculous strawman. The issue is making minimum wage anywhere close to livable. And to back it up to previous running commentary, high school kids don't work 40 hour weeks anyway, they don't factor into this equation and you can't use them to justify minimum wage being abysmal. High school kids shouldn't be fucking working in the first place, and the fact that some of them have to in order to not die piles onto this insanity.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:44 am  

Blathering Buffoon

Jubbergun wrote:
Mns wrote:
DoubleH wrote:

Ahahahahahaha

It's not exactly the same, because at least the ones being paid by an employer are working.

If we're going to raise the minimum wage, why stop at $22? Why not make it $100? Why not make sure all those "working poor" are no longer poor and are actually upper-middle class?

Your Pal,
Jubber

$22 an hour would be lovely. i will likely start at $19 so that's like a raise for me before i even start nursing yay

s^ | Kay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:14 am  

Old Conservative Faggot

Yuratuhl wrote:
Because that's a ridiculous strawman. The issue is making minimum wage anywhere close to livable. And to back it up to previous running commentary, high school kids don't work 40 hour weeks anyway, they don't factor into this equation and you can't use them to justify minimum wage being abysmal. High school kids shouldn't be fucking working in the first place, and the fact that some of them have to in order to not die piles onto this insanity.

There's nothing ridiculous about it whether you think it's a straw man or not. If the idea is that we can mandate what employers have to pay for a position so we can improve the standard of living for wage slaves, then why are you so heartless as to deny them an upper-middle class standard of living? Why do they only deserve a "livable" wage? If we can just pluck a number out of the air and call it "fair," why not pick a number that is really going to make a difference?

High school kids do factor into the minimum wage debate because minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about one-fifth of hourly-paid workers, they made up about half of those paid the Federal minimum wage or less. Among employed teenagers paid by the hour, about 23 percent earned the minimum wage or less, compared with about 3 percent of workers age 25 and over. Among hourly-paid workers age 16 and over, about 11 percent of those who had less than a high school diploma earned the Federal minimum wage or less, compared with about 5 percent of those who had a high school diploma (with no college) and about 2 percent of college graduates.

You'd be hard-pressed to afford much on a minimum wage salary in places like NY or Chicago, but there probably aren't a lot of jobs in NY, Chicago, or similar localities that only pay minimum wage. Most of the places where minimum wage jobs are common have a low cost of living that lessens the impact of being on the low end of the pay scale. The states with the highest proportions of hourly-paid workers earning at or below the Federal minimum wage were Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas (all between 8 and 10 percent). The states with the lowest percentage of workers earning at or below the Federal minimum wage were Oregon, California, Washington, and Alaska (all under 2 percent). It should be noted that some states have minimum wage laws establishing standards that exceed the Federal minimum wage.

I agree that high school kids shouldn't need to work so their families can get by but for people like me who--unlike some of you who come from a family where mommy and daddy made enough money to buy you an XBox, a computer, and a car--had to work if they wanted anything that wasn't a basic life necessity, a part-time job was absolutely awesome. It wasn't enough to interfere with my school work or my social life, and I learned a lot of valuable life/job skills.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:03 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

High school kids shouldn't have to work, Tuhl?

Why shouldn't they have to work?

I worked in high school - and it was good for me. Gives me much needed perspective nowadays...I can see how far I've come. I was required to give my parents a % of every paycheck. How was this a bad thing?

I'm just curious as to your line of reasoning there.

Azelma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:54 am  

Blathering Buffoon

There's a difference between working in high school because you want to/your parents tell you to, and working because you have to in order to be able to eat.

s^ | Kay

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next