Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minimum Wage Would be $22 an Hour If...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:22 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Having to work sucks. Better get used to it young.

Working in high school benefitted my adult life a lot more than the classes I took in high school, though that may be more a complaint about our education system.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:43 pm  

French Faggot

Azelma wrote:
High school kids shouldn't have to work, Tuhl?

Why shouldn't they have to work?

I worked in high school - and it was good for me. Gives me much needed perspective nowadays...I can see how far I've come. I was required to give my parents a % of every paycheck. How was this a bad thing?

I'm just curious as to your line of reasoning there.

No, high school kids shouldn't have to work. You should never have to work if you're not even legally a person yet. Children (which is what high school kids are) who want to work should certainly have that option, but it needs to be a choice not an imposition. Children who have to work because their family would starve without their labor input, or whose parents are such deadbeats that they put the burden on their kids before said kids can even vote, are a sign that this country is a disaster. Children are to be supported, not ridden. If you have kids, you take responsibility for at least eighteen fucking years, and you don't ask them to contribute because of your shitty decision to have them in the first place.

Your parents fucking robbed you. Full stop.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:27 pm  

Blathering Buffoon

Yuratuhl wrote:
Azelma wrote:
High school kids shouldn't have to work, Tuhl?

Why shouldn't they have to work?

I worked in high school - and it was good for me. Gives me much needed perspective nowadays...I can see how far I've come. I was required to give my parents a % of every paycheck. How was this a bad thing?

I'm just curious as to your line of reasoning there.

No, high school kids shouldn't have to work. You should never have to work if you're not even legally a person yet. Children (which is what high school kids are) who want to work should certainly have that option, but it needs to be a choice not an imposition. Children who have to work because their family would starve without their labor input, or whose parents are such deadbeats that they put the burden on their kids before said kids can even vote, are a sign that this country is a disaster. Children are to be supported, not ridden. If you have kids, you take responsibility for at least eighteen fucking years, and you don't ask them to contribute because of your shitty decision to have them in the first place.

The only way I could see this working out to be beneficial is if they forced you to give them the money, put it aside, and then gave it to you for a car or something. i would've appreciated that, cause i suck at saving money. but they would've spent all mine D:

s^ | Kay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Usdk wrote:

Working in high school benefitted my adult life a lot more than the classes I took in high school, though that may be more a complaint about our education system.

I've had a job since 14 so I can agree with this.

Druid: Meowth
« Steam »« Xfire »
Glorious Death Metal Music

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:14 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Yuratuhl wrote:

It's interesting the two philosophies we have here...Usdk, Meowth, and myself think being a high school kid with a job is a good thing - Tuhl believes it's unfair if parents tell their kids to "get a job"

I guess I should clarify...my parents taking 25% of my paycheck did nothing to help them -- it was pittance compared to everything they paid for. In fact, they used it mostly for my High School tuition...because I WANTED to go to a elite private school.

It wasn't them "robbing" me...they were right to have me get a job when I was 16. It's better to learn that nothing is free a whopping 2 years before I would be able to be drafted than to never have been taught those lessons.

Working fast food teaches you the value of a dollar...how hard it can be for some people to earn. My parents did me a favor saying "get a job"

On the flip side, I have some cousins who are doing okay...but they were never required to work in high school. Their parents provided them with EVERYTHING. They never learned how to manage money, or earn it, and now live far outside their means. They are in their mid-20s and still need to be supported by their parents.

I think painting it as child labor, or child slavery is a very skewed view. It's not as though my parents were trying to "get a return on their investment" or some absurd thing. They wanted me to learn how to work - and I'm better for it. More parents should have that approach...rather than coddling their children until they're 18 then dropping them into a world of college debt etc.

Azelma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Getting a job to teach responsibility is a good thing. NOBODY IS ARGUING THIS. Why do you keep insisting that Tuhl is arguing this nonsensical point? I will repeat, one last time, for those are having trouble grasping such a simple concept - it is REALLY BAD if one HAS to work in school in order to eat. Not that one shouldn't work in high school, because I did (even if only to put it on my college applications) and it was very helpful. But I for one am really glad I was able to focus on school instead of my family's well-being. As a child, it would have been very detrimental to my future career.

How is this hard to understand?

Usdk wrote:

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. Working only sucks if you do not like your chosen field/career, or if you HAD to work when you didn't want to. Love what you do, and you'll never work a day in your life. Why do you think I chose medicine?

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:26 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Because everyone winds up in their dream job.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:51 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Tuhl basically said my parents "robbed me" by making me get a job and taking a % of the paycheck.

I just disagree with that mentality entirely. It wasn't to afford anything - it was to teach me the value of a dollar, and to empower me to put some cash into my own education.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding Tuhl's point. Agreed, no high school kid should have to work in order to eat.

However, every high school kid should get some kind of work experience. Good parents will tell their 16 year old to get a job and work part time on the weekends or whatever. I believe this wholeheartedly. Time and time again, the more successful people I've seen are those who started working in high school, and held some pretty shitty jobs.

Not to mention, even with 75% of a paycheck I was able to buy nice things for myself. Go out to movies without having to ask my parents for money, put gas in my car, etc.

Azelma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:37 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

My job paid for many the "fun" things I had as a kid and I ended up paying for about half of my school lunches so I could get extra milk/pizza/whatever. Plus my dad was out of work for quite a while for knee surgery when I did get the job and that was probably why I got it in the first place since I mentioned it in the interview as a reason why I wanted to work there. I was there for ~8 years until they closed up shop with 1.5 years off for school.

Druid: Meowth
« Steam »« Xfire »
Glorious Death Metal Music

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:40 pm  

French Faggot

Robbing you is quite literally what your parents did, though. You worked, while they were your legal guardians obligated to provide for you, and you gave them a cut of your labor.

The problem, I think, is you saw your "elite, private" (lol) high school as a luxury item that you should be required to contribute towards. You lived in a not-so-great area of Philadelphia as a kid, right? Nobody goes to public school in urban Philadelphia and expects to make it. Hell, even if you lived in Chicago at that point, same statement applies unless you lived in the rich people areas. Your parents should have been cognizant of that fact. Private school wasn't simply your choice, it was the only option if you were ever going to amount to anything.

Shit, it showed some initiative on your part that you wanted to go there. But it still should have fallen to them to provide, since your success is 100% their responsibility. That is not negotiable. They made you, they own up to it and give you everything according to their means. Not according to your means. The only alternative is they're shitty parents.

(Full disclosure: I think private schools are a terrible idea. That I think you made the right decision shows how much more I think urban schools are a disaster)

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:23 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Usdk wrote:
Because everyone winds up in their dream job.

The liberal American dream is spending most of one's life getting well-paid to work six hours a a day, four days a week, at a challenging but low-stress job, preferably at some sort of co-op.

The conservative American dream is to work ten hours a day, seven days a week, working for some rich person in a petty and self-debasing job, and thereby hit it big, move up to their level, and spend the rest of life sitting around drinking pina coladas and watching midday TV.

Aestu of Bleeding Hollow...

Nihilism is a copout.

Post subject: Minimum Wage Would be $22 an Hour If...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:09 pm  

Str8 Actin Dude

Yup

Brawlsack

Taking an extended hiatus from gaming

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

I don't see how the success of the child is 100% the responsibility of the parents. Surely the kid has to have some part of it. How many kids do YOU know had every advantage and then just dicked it all away?

I can think of one recently banned person off the top of my head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:28 am  

Old Conservative Faggot

It wasn't that long ago that people had kids because it was cheaper than buying a draft animal. Seriously, probably only a little over a hundred years ago in this country and a lot of others, people had five or six kids to run the farm. Before I had a paying job, my brothers and I worked for my dad in his hornet and snake infested salvage yard. The idea that a child shouldn't have to pitch in to provide for the family isn't just brand-new and fresh-of-the-shelf, it ignores thousands of years of human history.

Parents do have some responsibility for how their kids turn out, but sometimes you can do everything right and still end up with a shitty human being. Conversely, you can do everything wrong and a kid might turn out just fine. There really isn't a a viable formula for x+y=good kid. Even if your parents were complete shit and you grew up to be an asshole, once you're an adult you're the one accountable for your behavior. It's up to you to realize you're a bastard and change yourself...which is really a raw deal for people who haven't had appropriate role models, but that's still how it is.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:31 am  

MegaFaggot 5000

Its like you people are building strawmen full of strawmen.

Then again, I guess that's a good idea if your original idea is total bullshit.

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next