Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:33 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gubment Shutdown
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:33 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Yuratuhl wrote:
Jubbergun wrote:
I could say some of the exact same things about a few other things, like the Patriot Act, NSA wiretapping, and the Debt Ceiling. I'm guessing we shouldn't try to end some of the ridiculous NSA shenanigans because people opposed to secret courts lost and it's a fucking law? I know you're not going to tell me that the Debt Ceiling passed, and the people who want to raise it lost and it's a fucking law. The "it's the law" argument is for dumbs. You guys aren't dumbs. Stop acting like dumbs.

Except you couldn't say the same thing about all those other laws. Nobody is attaching a PATRIOT Act repeal to an unrelated budget battle. Nobody is trying to put a rider curtailing NSA wiretaps on, say, tornado relief to red states. There are bad laws that are still THE LAW. They may be unpalatable to everyone, but short of a court order or targeted dismantling, they're gonna stick around. But I do actually like the sound of that. Next time there's a vote on hurricane relief to the Carolinas, we should try to tack on a PATRIOT Act repeal. You know, because fuck you or something. Oh, you don't want to entertain my ridiculous unrelated claims? YOU'RE NOT NEGOTIATING WITH ME IN GOOD FAITH.

"It's the law" is the succinct way of saying "fight this with a repeal attempt (and keep losing) instead of turning to extortion, you fucks."

/thread

Would like to see you refute Tuhl there Jubber. In fact I'd love to see it.

Azelma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:58 pm  

MegaFaggot 5000

Yuratuhl wrote:
Jubbergun wrote:
I could say some of the exact same things about a few other things, like the Patriot Act, NSA wiretapping, and the Debt Ceiling. I'm guessing we shouldn't try to end some of the ridiculous NSA shenanigans because people opposed to secret courts lost and it's a fucking law? I know you're not going to tell me that the Debt Ceiling passed, and the people who want to raise it lost and it's a fucking law. The "it's the law" argument is for dumbs. You guys aren't dumbs. Stop acting like dumbs.

Except you couldn't say the same thing about all those other laws. Nobody is attaching a PATRIOT Act repeal to an unrelated budget battle. Nobody is trying to put a rider curtailing NSA wiretaps on, say, tornado relief to red states. There are bad laws that are still THE LAW. They may be unpalatable to everyone, but short of a court order or targeted dismantling, they're gonna stick around. But I do actually like the sound of that. Next time there's a vote on hurricane relief to the Carolinas, we should try to tack on a PATRIOT Act repeal. You know, because fuck you or something. Oh, you don't want to entertain my ridiculous unrelated claims? YOU'RE NOT NEGOTIATING WITH ME IN GOOD FAITH.

"It's the law" is the succinct way of saying "fight this with a repeal attempt (and keep losing) instead of turning to extortion, you fucks."

Here's a reminder that many of the Republicans that have dealt with things like a good fraction of their state going up in flames and tornadoes this year voted against Hurricane Sandy relief, but instantly started begging for funds once their (infinitely less profitable) state got hit. Instead of attaching shit like the Patrioit Act to cleaning up Jubber's swamp, I think that governors should have to issue a public thank you to the federal government for the funds. If representatives have voted against the emergency funding of other states, they should have to do a photo-op with Obama and apologize to the country.

EDIT: I find it staggeringly amazing how the right wing is supposed to be the super PATRIOTIC AMERICA FUCK YEAH branch, but they're so willing to throw whole states of their fellow citizens under the bus and jump with glee as the government is shut down, causing almost 800,000 Americans to lose their jobs and American cancer patients to lose potentially life-saving treatment.

Seriously, fuck all of you.

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm  

Deliciously Trashy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:32 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

Yuratuhl wrote:

That's not at all what the "it's the law" argument is, and it's disingenuous of you to portray it that way. Much like "the science is settled" or "check your privilege" it's nothing more than a means to shut down debate.

Let's say a future democrat minority does try to attach a Patriot Act repeal to future disaster relief and ignore for a moment the fact that the reason a budget attack on the ACA is acceptable is because the ACA was passed as a budget bill. Let's also ignore the fact that democrats backed the renewal of the Patriot Act and President Obama signed its extension, and that it would be unlikely democrats would take up that fight in the first place. So what if they would do that? Unlike you, I don't see the problem of either party using tactics the other has already employed. You didn't make a peep over using budget procedures to pass sweeping changes to 1/6 of the economy, but now you're up-in-arms because over using budget procedures to amend or delay those changes? Let's be honest and admit that it's not the procedure being used that you don't like, it's who's using it.

Harry Reid asked "What right do they have to pick and choose what part of government is going to be funded?" As if he didn't already know, they're the House of Representatives, and all bills for the raising of revenue originate with them. That's their "right"/power under the Constitution; they control the purse. They're exercising that power. If I don't like what the democrats did while they had that power and/or don't like what they're doing now with the powers granted them now, it's tough shit--you say so yourself. The same applies when you don't like the republicans are doing. Suck it up.

Mns wrote:
EDIT: I find it staggeringly amazing how the right wing is supposed to be the super PATRIOTIC AMERICA FUCK YEAH branch, but they're so willing to throw whole states of their fellow citizens under the bus and jump with glee as the government is shut down, causing almost 800,000 Americans to lose their jobs and American cancer patients to lose potentially life-saving treatment.

The House passed a bill to fund the cancer research when this was brought up. Harry Reid's response, "Why would I want to do that?" Yeah, it's the republicans that want cancer patients to die, that's why they passed a funding bill and democrats in the senate wouldn't. That makes perfect sense.

Boehner even put up a bill to fund the city of DC as a favor to Eleanor Holmes Norton. Her fellow democrats voted it down.

I don't like people losing their jobs (especially in this economy), but if those 800,000 are "non-essential" why do they have federal jobs in the first place? Either the federal government doesn't understand what "essential" means, or those positions are not an effective use of funds. The congress on both sides is already talking about back-paying these people for time missed, so they're essentially going to end up with a paid vacation...which I think is somewhat fair, since in many cases they wouldn't be recalled to their jobs when this ends if they take another job.

You can blame the republicans all you want, but while they're giving the democrats the ability to fund cancer research and democrats are turning it down, you're just grandstanding.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:35 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

I love the contradiction...

Republicans are fine with the PATRIOT ACT.

They are fine with banning gay marriage and preventing women from aborting babies.

But pass a law that says citizens need to have health insurance or question the need for citizens to own assault rifles? OH NO MY GOD THAT'S BIG GUBMENT.

Yeah...it's just not the big government they want (because yknow...let's have a crazy bloated military budget with funding a bunch of useless generals living in huge houses...but paying for poor people who don't have healthcare is a serious waste of resources)

I fucking hate this country.

Azelma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:00 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

I actually think the patriot act was atrocious. Anyone who legitimately dislikes the idea of big government would agree with me.

What's funny is how many people hated the patriot act when Bush was in office, but are totally fine with it now that Barry Bama is in charge. Hypocrites.

Edit: Tell me why you guys think that there should be exemptions of any kind from Obamacare. Why shouldn't Congress members and their staff be subject to Obamacare?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 pm  

MegaFaggot 5000

Usdk wrote:
What's funny is how many people hated the patriot act when Bush was in office, but are totally fine with it now that Barry Bama is in charge. Hypocrites.

Projection is a motherfucker.

Quote:
Tell me why you guys think that there should be exemptions of any kind from Obamacare. Why shouldn't Congress members and their staff be subject to Obamacare?

THEY AREN'T

RETIRED.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

No, President Obama just worked out a sweetheart deal where they get something like 70% of their healthcare subsidized regardless of their income. No special treatment there or anything.

Your Pal,
Jubber

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:14 am  

Kunckleheaded Knob

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-7-2013/exclusive---kathleen-sebelius-extended-interview-pt--1

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-7-2013/exclusive---kathleen-sebelius-extended-interview-pt--2

Çhubathingy - Shaman - Royal Militia
Hoenhiem - Paladin - Royal Militia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:37 am  

MegaFaggot 5000

Jubbergun wrote:
No, President Obama just worked out a sweetheart deal where they get something like 70% of their healthcare subsidized regardless of their income. No special treatment there or anything.

Your Pal,
Jubber

The whole talking point is "IF OBAMACARE IS SO GOOD THEN WHY IS CONGRESS EXEMPT FROM IT???", which was just proven to be pure bullshit. Congrats on missing the point of your own regurgitated talking point entirely.

RETIRED.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 pm  

MegaFaggot 5000

Here's a fun game: Look at all of the libertarians you know and count up how many times they've been helped out by someone else. So far I know three major libertarians irl: One went to college to be a firefighter, couldn't get a job, and now has a cushy job working for his dad. Another had his college paid for (and is going to get a substantial inheritance) by his rich aunt who is living off of interest from the government finding uranium on their backwater in oklahoma or some shit 50 years ago, and a final one had his parents pay for his entire college and gets a stipend from them while he works 10 hours a week at the Gap.

RETIRED.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:06 pm  

French Faggot

Fine example of hoisting yourself up by the
if you ask me.

If destruction exists, we must destroy everything.
Shuruppak Yuratuhl
Slaad Shrpk Breizh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:19 am  

MegaFaggot 5000

Reminder that a majority of Americans now blame the Republicans for the shutdown, Obama's popularity is up, and so is the ACA's. 73% of the country thinks that the shutdown is a serious problem and 31% of people polled were directly affected by the shutdown. Also, the approval rating for both republicans and the tea party are the lowest since Gallup started asking in 1992.

If we don't do anything about the debt limit, its pretty clear that one of the few (or the only) thing good that will come out of it will be the acceleration of making sure that republicans won't have any sort of sway in government for the conceivable future. I'd rather just wait for the Baby Boomers to die off in a good enough chunk that they can be totally ignored, tbh.

EDIT: I guess a bunch of farmers in South Dakota had all of their cattle wiped out (over 20,000 cows) due to a freak blizzard. They now can't get government help because of the shutdown. Thanks, Obama!

RETIRED.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 am  

Querulous Quidnunc

Moving from one crisis to the next.

This is the problem with our government as a whole (which is bought and paid for...both sides of the aisle...each owned by huge interest groups, just look at campaign donations)

-Republicans want to either crash us into the sun (default on the debt) or slash any programs that, y'know, help poor people (while keeping defense spending way up...hooray! 'Murica)
-Democrats just want to keep kicking the can down the street until..idk...we find a bunch of money somewhere? Keep kicking it...I'm sure our children will sort it out...right?

Both options are absolutely idiotic. Two ideological sides of the same damn coin. It's going to get worse before it gets better as banks continue to rob us all blind and the government can't do anything about it because of petty concerns about getting re-elected/losing campaign financing and congressional gerrymandering.

Azelma

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next