Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:27 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: TCG Megathread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:39 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

I use Coolstuffinc because it's here in Florida and they have a discount system as you make purchases (plus free shipping with $100+ orders).

Other times I use Starcitygames just because they almost always have everything (and more) in stock.

If you wanted to use Coolstuffinc I could probably let you use my account for the I believe 10% discount on singles and the 3% off general products (boxes, board games, etc).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:39 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

Sometimes one or the other will have cheaper prices for items the other doesn't oddly enough. So I'll kind of look at both for the better deal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 am  

Tasty Tourist

If you're doing casual magic in a multiplayer setting I'd definitely suggest looking at the Commander (EDH) format. Hit me up on the RM forums and I can give you a bunch of info. I've been playing Limited and EDH heavily for the past couple years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

But Myth ! I fear change : [ I long for the days of Banding, Flanking, Upkeep, Phasing(anyone else still get confused?) and the like. I also very much miss flavor text : [ and the pre 8th edition cards looked way more awesome imo(I like my colors to be colored tyvm).

I don't think I could stand to play some wonky version of the game with heroes and tons of life(though one of my friends picked up a couple boxed commander decks, so who knows maybe he will like it and we will probably do it at least once). I'm just trying to get these guys to split in with a bunch of new cards so I don't have to use my 15-20 year old "broken" cards against them in dastardly ways, such as when back in Mirrodin I broke out my Energy Flux's when even peoples lands were artifacts >.>

I think everyone(myself included) would have more fun playing Standard or Modern(even though the other guys probably don't even know what that means and I would never tell them not to use a card if they really wanted to). If nothing else it would make it much quicker for me to build decks if I didn't have to go digging through everything I have.

Çhubathingy - Shaman - Royal Militia
Hoenhiem - Paladin - Royal Militia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:13 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

DoubleH wrote:
But Myth ! I fear change : [ I long for the days of Banding, Flanking, Upkeep, Phasing(anyone else still get confused?) and the like. I also very much miss flavor text : [ and the pre 8th edition cards looked way more awesome imo(I like my colors to be colored tyvm).

I don't think I could stand to play some wonky version of the game with heroes and tons of life(though one of my friends picked up a couple boxed commander decks, so who knows maybe he will like it and we will probably do it at least once). I'm just trying to get these guys to split in with a bunch of new cards so I don't have to use my 15-20 year old "broken" cards against them in dastardly ways, such as when back in Mirrodin I broke out my Energy Flux's when even peoples lands were artifacts >.>

I think everyone(myself included) would have more fun playing Standard or Modern(even though the other guys probably don't even know what that means and I would never tell them not to use a card if they really wanted to). If nothing else it would make it much quicker for me to build decks if I didn't have to go digging through everything I have.

Your post, unless I missed something (highly possible), leads me to believe you have no idea how commander works.

It's just double the normal life total (40). You have one legendary creature (your general) that sets the color base for your deck, that you can cast from a special place. 100 card deck, no doubles of anything other than basic land (or relentless rats/shadowborn apostle). It's actually quite fun and will probably house your older cards very well. There are a few things (mainly a few generals) that are dumb/broken but other than that it's all fun.

Why Myth needs to you contact on RM forums as opposed to just here I don't know, that's kind of weird. Here should be most everything you need to know.
http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:18 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

It sounds to me like you'd actually have more fun just buying a couple of cases of an older set (like Mirrodin, Innistrad or something) and only building your decks out of those. Maybe even buying the "Deckbuilder's Toolkit". It's 20 bucks and a good place to start. You get 85 set cards, 100 land, 4 sets of 10 semi randomized "deck archtype" cards and I think 4 packs plus a box.

Just make your own fun if you want it in a casual way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:17 am  

Tasty Tourist

I have my RM login info saved on my work computer but not FUBU. :)

Well, if you've got an older collection and want to use the cards I'd definitely suggest commander. Also, in a multiplayer environment, the effect of a more powerful deck is lessened. Also, Commander is the only format that you can really build unique decks that won't get stomped by established archtypes (to an extent, however you can usually spot the broken decks by General). I got into Magic playing around the kitchen table in my college apartment with my three roommates and a fridge full of beer. Commander is the only format that I've played that brings that feeling back.

I tend to steer clear of 60 card constructed these days. Legacy is expensive if you don't already own the staples from back in the day. Standard... I don't like blowing a couple hundred on a deck that is going to tank in price in 1-2 years. Modern staples, while not as bad as legacy, are still expensive. Most new set releases I usually buy a box or two then ship out all the stuff I open in trades for eternal staples. I pick up the dozen or so cards I want in foil after the prices tank due to the initial rush being over.

Edit: Regardless of which type of deck you want to build it's always a better idea to just pick up the singles once you've constructed a list rather than buying some boxes. You'll get exactly what you want while saving a good bit of cash.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:40 am  

Kunckleheaded Knob

Yea singles don't run anywhere close to what they used to since the pokemon lawsuit(in conjuncture with the reprinting of all the "good" cards). BUT, half the fun is opening boosters and making things happen.

We don't really care what the playing field is at this point as long as we keep it fairly even and I for one am not really looking to build one particular deck. I like options/variety(and I get bored quickly), I almost never play a deck more than 1 or 2 times in any given night and when I'm playing often I flip themes constantly. I don't really care about winning anymore, I learned a long time ago that no one wants to play if I beat them everytime and that I tend to take games more seriously then my fam/friends... So. I have to work very hard to NOT take it very seriously(such as just ordering 4 or so of every card that looks interesting >.>).

So yea... not to sound like to much of a dick... But, I know what we are looking to do and was just looking for answers to a couple questions... I should have known with WoW players not to say "casual" because it just gets read as "noob"...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:59 pm  

Fat Bottomed Faggot

Quote:
I got into Magic playing around the kitchen table in my college apartment with my three roommates and a fridge full of beer.

If there are two things I need, it's more people to play MTG with while drinking, and friends with benefits.

I swear, I never just bump into people who play (like roommates, or classmates). It's maddening, tbh.

Quote:
We don't really care what the playing field is at this point as long as we keep it fairly even and I for one am not really looking to build one particular deck. I like options/variety(and I get bored quickly), I almost never play a deck more than 1 or 2 times in any given night and when I'm playing often I flip themes constantly. I don't really care about winning anymore, I learned a long time ago that no one wants to play if I beat them everytime and that I tend to take games more seriously then my fam/friends... So. I have to work very hard to NOT take it very seriously(such as just ordering 4 or so of every card that looks interesting >.>).

I hate drafting. Half the fun is experimenting and building imho.

The other half is actually creating a good deck from your own imagination (your idea, your cards, no looking up decks other people made, not conforming to archetypes like a Tribe or Guild).

It's orgasmic when you can build such a deck with 50 bucks or less.

"Ok we aren't such things and birds are pretty advanced. They fly and shit from anywhere they want. While we sit on our automatic toilets, they're shitting on people and my car while a cool breeze tickles their anus. That's the life."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:48 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

DoubleH wrote:

I hear you on that. Sadly it is every game ever. Best thing to do is to limit yourself. Lower tier decks/cards/fighters/getaway sticks. You can try at full potential while still giving them a fighting chance.

Quote:
So yea... not to sound like to much of a dick... But, I know what we are looking to do and was just looking for answers to a couple questions... I should have known with WoW players not to say "casual" because it just gets read as "noob"...

I'd say you have your answers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:35 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

I pick a random theme and go with it. Like vampires... I DESPERATELY wanted to have a tri-color (RBW) deck with Falkenrath Aristocrat and Falkenrath Torturer with things like Gather the Townsfolk and Thraben Doomsayer to constantly have humans to sacrifice to them. Took a TON of work and a LOT of trading (and a new found appreciation for those dual lands) but I made it fairly decent.

THAT is satisfying. I'll post decklists of every deck I have one day!

[✔] [item]Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker[/item] (Three)
[✔] [item]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]32837[/item] & [item]32838[/item]
[✔] [item]Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury[/item]
[✔] [item]46017[/item]
[✔] [item]49623[/item] (Two)
[✔] [item]71086[/item]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:16 pm  

Feckless Fool

Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is my EDH commander. Before him it was Prime Speaker Zegana which I think I posted a few months ago. His steady life-gain ability is pretty sweet, but I only use him in casual matches or if I'm desperate for card draw. The deck uses a lot of pillowfort enchantments like No Mercy, Blind Obedience, Propaganda, Karmic Justice. And of course, the deck is packed with sweepers, tutors, and walkers.

Favorite win con of the deck: Debt to the Deathless when Sanguine Bond is out.

If anybody wants to play on Cockatrice, let me know! I can also load up Standard/Modern decks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:11 pm  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

Xeoni wrote:
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is my EDH commander. Before him it was Prime Speaker Zegana which I think I posted a few months ago. His steady life-gain ability is pretty sweet, but I only use him in casual matches or if I'm desperate for card draw. The deck uses a lot of pillowfort enchantments like No Mercy, Blind Obedience, Propaganda, Karmic Justice. And of course, the deck is packed with sweepers, tutors, and walkers.

Favorite win con of the deck: Debt to the Deathless when Sanguine Bond is out.

If anybody wants to play on Cockatrice, let me know! I can also load up Standard/Modern decks.

He's my favorite commander but he seems broken to me. I feel like he'd be more balanced at 1 life a turn when in the command zone but /shrug.

Karmic Justice is nuts. Too bad Sanguine Bond only hits one target. However, the infinite combo with Exquisite Blood is lulz. Vizkopa Guildmage can sub for Sanguine Bond as well.

I'm really going to have to get into playing on Cockatrice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:52 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

Necrachilles wrote:
I'd say you have your answers.

Yea I appreciate all the help guys : ]

Fantastique wrote:
I pick a random theme and go with it.

Yea I usually just drag out an interesting card and think to myself "well, I haven't built a deck around that before, why the hell not". Like I pulled a few Megrim's back when so I made a blue/black deck all about forcing card draws/discards with counters/creature gibs and a couple walls to lengthen the games for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:58 pm  

Feckless Fool

Oloro isn't broken. A broken commander allows for an early combo win. That, or, a mono blue 1v1 commander while v clique, now those generals are broken.

Anyway, check out the new spoiler for the simic planeswalker coming out soon:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next