Bucket Guild | FUBU BH Forums

I Has a Bucket: Preventing bucket theft on Bleeding Hollow | FUBU: A better BH Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:44 am

Post subject: Aestu - Reflections
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

So this thread originally started as a post that in hindsight given what has transpired seems mean spirited. I came across a YouTube video Aestu posted of a recording of his conversation with an FBI agent over a possible threat because of some disruptive event that happened in a class he was taking.

My initial thought when I came across this was "man how ridiculous is he still all these years later - let's share it with fubu if anyone still visits that they can have a laugh and shake their heads"

Then, as the strangeness of fate would have it, just a few days after this post Aestu committed suicide because of some different personal issues he was having. I've confirmed that this did happen. You could find his note on facebook, I won't be sharing it here.

So, instead I'm going to use this post to reflect on Aestu... idk, just feel like I should say something

--------------------------------------------
Aestu - Reflections

Aestu came into all our lives like everyone else here, through World of Warcraft. He was pretty darn good at the game (always competent whenever I played with him), and through his rather unique personality and approach became "famous" on Bleeding Hollow. Many players knew who Aestu was, many guilds worked with him at one time or another. He ran PUGs and had more mounts than anyone I ever came across. His meticulous approach to his character was a sight to behold. As were his tirades... like the one time he refused to leave a Black Temple run the guild <HP> was trying to run after they kicked him for being afk... he could be as stubborn and frustrating as he was entertaining.

He was active on forums, and then eventually joined FUBU when it broke off. He eventually was perma-banned here too, and in a twist of irony that would no doubt please him... the forum proceeded to slowly become deserted after that event. I feel confident saying, for his faults, he kept this place lively.

But this was all Aestu the character... the WoW player.... the notorious Paladin Tank from Bleeding Hollow

Aestu the man, who created this avatar, was not well. Throughout his life, he was not well.

His interactions with others were very often contentious, and his personality and actions pushed so many people away (myself included). His relationships with his family members were strained, and he lashed out often about them.... he was bullied relentlessly as a child, and had very clear mental health challenges that his parents attempted to treat with counseling and medication.

Yet interactions with Aestu also had many moments of positivity. Aestu himself could be very kind. One time he sent me a care package with comic books and chocolate he'd picked up at some flea market, just because. There were times on here where some of his comments and screeds put a smile on my face. I enjoyed talking with him more often than not. Were we friends? I don't know... I'm not sure Aestu could really have true friendships... but as much as I may have known about him... there's so much more I didn't know, and will never know.

He was not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination, he was a troubled person. He was suffering... and this suffering was often reflected outward on the world around him. This in turn, magnified his suffering as the world isn't forgiving, and constantly fighting with it is not how you win.

Even though for some reason being told this always angered him, he was intelligent. He was a good writer as well... with an impressive vocabulary and ability to turn a phrase. Even when in the middle of a frustrating circular argument about some silly thing, I read every word he wrote. Occasionally I would look at his Facebook in the years after FUBU was a thing, and even then he would often write long screeds that were entertaining.

We had so many back and forth arguments on this forum about all manner of things.... Aestu had his convictions and a worldview that I will never fully understand. But I do feel I learned from him, maybe that's one reason I kept jumping back into the fray with him.

Looking back though, so much of this confirms just how unwell he was... unfortunately the patterns and ultimate destination of his life only seem clear in hindsight.

I know he tried to do the right thing, he tried to make his life better... whatever obstacles he faced, even those by his own creation, he did persevere. He bought a home, took loads of classes and was trying to reach life goals he set out for himself. He tried.

Whatever you believe about the nature of existence, religion, etc... I feel confident in saying that Aestu is now at peace. I'm saddened that he never ended up getting the help he truly needed, but hopeful that those he is survived by will heal with time.

RIP Ethan.

Azelma

Last edited by Azelma on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Aestu Gets Interviewed by the FBI (really)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:02 am  

Obtuse Oaf

So did he actually kill himself? O.o

Callysta of Reverence

Post subject: Re: Aestu Gets Interviewed by the FBI (really)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:19 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Oh dear... IDK...

Azelma

Post subject: Re: --
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:13 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Yep. It happened. Edited comment above in light of this.

Azelma

Post subject: Re: Aestu - Reflections
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:52 pm  

Querulous Quidnunc

Azelma wrote:
the strangeness of fate

People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down

When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain
When you're strange
No one remembers your name

Quote:
RIP Ethan.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:48 am  

Blathering Buffoon

I'm honestly still trying to gather my thoughts about this. I couldn't sleep after reading his post Thursday - apparently minutes too late to have done him any good :( I was a nervous wreck not knowing if he was okay until Sunday when the coroner finally confirmed. The police wouldn't tell me shit. I'm still in a general state of fucked-up because I deal with death on a daily basis and I don't know how to process being on this side of the fence right now. I'm grateful to Luci, Tuhl, and Zaryi for being right there with me this weekend, you guys helped more than you could know.

In any case, Ethan's passing has really created a stir - though as you've said, he never did fail to create a stir wherever he went. I'm thinking it might please him, but I've never really been able to read him, so I can't say for sure. I'm just.. fucking sad.

s^ | Kay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 am  

Kunckleheaded Knob

Damn, I was just running through my old favorites folders tonight out of boredom and came across his facebook page... From the first moment I started reading that post I hoped it was some kind of prank/cry for attention, and then I checked my Btag friends and saw "Offline 4 days" and it started to set in. It was crushing to finally find the news report dated shortly after that last FB post. I still didn't want to think it was true, I was going to make calls tomorrow but reading his old posts on the RM forums eventually lead me here(I assumed these forums were gone since my link to the front page stopped working, but I guess there's a new host).

I feel bad that I hadn't talked to him much in the last couple of years. Looking back I didn't know him all that well but it felt like I did due to how open he was. A lot of people I've met along the way had bad things to say about him(He was denied from RM a couple of times because he had history with people), but he always seemed like an OK guy to me. Even when we had disagreements on different subjects it always felt to me that he was trying to make me a better(in his eyes) person rather than just being mean or trolling(I have two brothers with slight mental issues and always saw a tiny bit of them in him during our interactions), and whenever I have been feeling depressed/stuck in my own life I always thought about how if he was able to make so big of a change(going to OH) in an effort to improve his life that maybe someday I would as well.

I feel like I should have something more meaningful to say, but its 3 am and I'm muddled. I guess the short of it is... He had a positive impact on my life, and even though I can't remember when our last conversation was or what it was about I thought there was more to come. I miss the idea of that conversation and wish I had made the effort to have more of them while he was here.

Çhubathingy - Shaman - Royal Militia
Hoenhiem - Paladin - Royal Militia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:31 am  

Falcon PUNCH! Faggot

This truly is terrible news =[ He was in my Alliance guild and I left a note for him but he left about 3 months ago but I lost all my btag friends and haven't heard from him. He really was a character and I'm going to miss him. I suppose now is a good time to read the book he sent me. I hope he finds peace, wherever he is now.

Rest in peace Ethan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:02 am  

Obtuse Oaf

rip

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:25 pm  
Kunckleheaded Knob

Sad RIP.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Mazeltov

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:41 pm  

Kunckleheaded Knob

I've been following Aestu on Facebook for several years. I always read his blogs, and I did read his most recent one. Like most of his literature, I agree with some parts, and others not. When I read the message, I didn't take it seriously, and kept scrolling. I'll always regret that moment.

I had the pleasure of playing with him many occasions. I was in his guilds <Thinkers> and <Deliciously Trashy>, where we attempted hardcore raiding. I had great laughs, trolls, and learned a lot from him.

RIP.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 am  

Attention Whore

Yeah this was......something. Been a long time since coming back to this forum, but caught the post and the responses and knew it had some connection back to the good old WoW days. Figured it was someone I knew and yeah...just yeah.

After making the connection, I'm....yeah a bit in shock. I'd been a long time since Gruul's Lair PUGs and the glory days of those terrible raids, but it's sad to see such a bright light from a previous era fade out.

Engi-nerd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 am  

MegaFaggot 5000

rip

RETIRED.
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Mayonaise[/armory]
[armory loc="US,Bleeding Hollow"]Jerkonaise[/armory]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:26 pm  

Old Conservative Faggot

Wow, this is sad to hear. I guess his self-destructive tendencies and habit of driving everyone away got to be too much. It's really a pity. He had a lot going for him and when he let his guard down and gave the ego a rest he was an OK guy. RIP, Ethan, hopefully someone will rez you when the last boss fight is over.

AKA "The Gun"
AKA "ROFeraL"

World Renowned Mexican Forklift Artiste

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:26 pm  

Deliciously Trashy

so many mixed feelings on this